Water tank on Hunter 26.5

Discussion in 'Stability' started by F5Pro, May 30, 2020.

1. F5Pro

F5Pro New Member

The outboard motor and battery sitting at the aft right corner of the boat induce a tilt in that direction. Was the 23 gallon water tank forward of the mast in the locker under the V berth there as a "foil" to offset the outboard weight or as a necessary item to help the boat qualify as an RV? This is a day sailor, rarely used for overnighting.

2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

So does filling the water tank solve the problem?
    If not, you need to relocate either the items mentioned or something else to counterbalance.

3. F5Pro

F5Pro New Member

Project boat-not in the water. I moved the single start/house battery from right in front of the transom/outboard motor (by the way, the factory motor bracket is 17" from the transom and the motor weighs about 100 lb) to a cabin settee locker on the opposite-side adjacent to the keel and added a second battery. Do you think the 23 gallons in the water tank sitting ahead of the mast and keel under the v berth are necessary for added stability or was it a necessary evil to help the boat qualify as a recreational vehicle in the eyes of the IRS.

4. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I think a water tank, or fuel tank, or any variable load is intelligently located low and central.
    Doubt that the designer was trying to dodge the IRS rules, have never seen that on a SOR!

5. F5Pro

F5Pro New Member

Thank you.

6. johnvictor

johnvictor New Member

I've only ever sailed dinghies myself, and I don't know that I'd ever want a larger boat. There's something wonderfully simple and direct about a single sail, a dagger board, and a rudder. It seems to me to be the pleasures of sailing distilled down to their fundamental essence. Sitting mere inches above the water's surface may help.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.