Water Skiing and Jets

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by COLD-EH', Aug 11, 2006.

1. COLD-EH'

COLD-EH' Junior Member

I see the Bombardier jet boats and Sea Doos do some pretty incredable stuff pulling wake boarders and skiiers. I never thought a jet would be a good pull boat however I have never been behind or pulled anyone with one. Anyone have experience?:confused:

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Not great,-- but if your desperate it'll do. Not like a Mastercraft, when the rope pulls tight you shout go. Have you ever seen the cable ski tow. Like a small lake with a cable running around overhead-- now theres a pull you wont forget if you ever get your shoulders back in there sockets.

3. COLD-EH'

COLD-EH' Junior Member

I didn't think so! That's the goal, Matercraft style boat. Good to have goals!

4. TJP

TJP New Member

I use a hamilton jet boat fitted with a two stage jet and 302 Ford for skiing. I weigh 110 kilos and it pulls me out on a single ski if I drop a foot. Wont deep water barefoot start me though. You need a longer rope to get away from the turbulent water. Makes a perfect wake for boarding. A three stage jet and a 351 would give better pull.

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Big difference there, between a 302/Hamilton and a 900cc Rotax. TJP's setup would have more than enough holeshot and should be able to hold a stable speed; jetski's generally can't do that. I haven't skiied behind a jet-ski, nor do I want to. The wake is completely the wrong shape for skiing and just as wrong for wakeboarding. And the things hold a straight line about as well as a bouncing football does, when the skier's off to the side. Where they are good towboats, is apparently on a tricks course, where the rider's not relying on the wake so much as the ramps and rails to make his jumps. The bigger jetski-engined boats in the 18' range tow a fair bit better than the PWCs, but I don't know of anyone who prefers one to a real towboat like a Tige or Malibu.

6. enzo24

enzo24 Junior Member

i agree with marshmat. jet boats don't put out the right wake for wakeboarding. if you are looking for a towboat you have to go with the big tow boat manufacures like Malibu Centurion or Tige.

7. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Jets don't really stack up for any sort of waterskiing. As suggested the wake is generally poor - incidentally shape is just as important for trick skiing as it is for wakeboarding. They are worst for slalom as they don't have any real 'grip' in the same way as a conventional prop does. They also add nothing in terms of lateral plane - like a skeg does - to help prvent the boat from being pulled sideways.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.