Mercury 1985 20HP 200

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by phil32, Apr 3, 2012.

1. phil32

phil32 Junior Member

Gentlemen,
    I have a 1985 Mercury 20 HP 200. The Motor was designed to be a tiller or converted to a control box. I ordered the parts and cables and everything installed according to the manual. The nightmare is it shifts backward. Would anyone have an Idea what is wrong and how do I resolve it.
    I would appreciate any incite or help you could provide
    Thank You

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Do you mean when you select forward it goes backwards? please explain better.

3. phil32

phil32 Junior Member

Yes when you move the shifter forward it actual goes in reverse on the motor. It is hooked up correctly but the control box and the motor controls work opposite
    Thank You for your reply

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well you've got something hooked up backwards. If your not using a Merc box and you have a Morse they can be connectred either way to push or pull.

I assume the engine has not just been acquired as in that case some one could have got something wrong deeper in the motor.

If not that them some selector mechanism is on the wrong way round.

5. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Is that with the shift on the tiller arm model?

6. phil32

phil32 Junior Member

We converted it from a Tiller it is in the control box that is shifting backwards

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The shift cable is connected backwards. If it is a side mounted shifter, it may or may not be able to be reversed and used on both sides. A top mount, may be backwards mounted too. They usually have the option to be connected to the actuator arm to pull or push, make sure you got the right option.

8. phil32

phil32 Junior Member

Gonzo
    Thank you, I have a side shifter and its not able to be reversed as you suggest. Ive been told older 20 and 110 HP Mercury motors were set up this way so i need a different control box that does the opposite (I am guessing) Would you know how I would go about finding a box like that, and I really dont know what kind of a box I am looking for. (backwards ******* control box)
    Again Thank you for your input
    Phil

9. phil32

phil32 Junior Member

An update I found an local mercury dealer who has lots of knowledge about the older mercury motors and he ordered me a control box made for the backwards shift 20hp and 110hp they still are available. little pricey $255.00
    Thanks for your help

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.