Water Over my Pilot House

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by DaveO, Sep 20, 2018.

1. DaveO

DaveO New Member

My 34' lobster style cruiser takes a lot of sea up and onto a long pilot house roof in rough water. This runs back and dumps into the cockpit area, soaking seats and crew.
    The roof is fiberglass with a slight crown and a rounded down rake across the back.
    Looking for help on design and materials to fabricate some kind of diverter toward the back of the roof to shove the runoff to the sides as it comes back along the roof. Needs to be something sturdy and low profile because we often carry two kayaks on the roof.

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.

You didn't mention how much camber your roof has, or how thick the flow of water is.

My approach would be to incorporate kayak holders into the design. Four 2x?s in parallel cheverons the bottoms cut to match roof camber and the tops notched for the kayaks. Skin with glass paint/gelcoat.

Good luck

3. Sparky568

Sparky568 Junior Member

Curious, who's the builder?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.