water line ??

Discussion in 'Stability' started by abdo, Dec 11, 2011.

1. abdo

abdo Junior Member

i am student of ship design. i am always asking my self how can the builder of ship estimate the design water line and how can he know that the level of water will be in this line before he put it in water ???

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Abdo,

The naval architect will decide where the waterline will be at the very beginning of the design. Then, the trick of naval architecture, the very essense of what we do, is to make sure that the boat or ship will float at that waterline. We decide on the ship's displacement at the beginning also and shape the hull to meet that displacement. Then for everything else we put in the ship we have to account for by its weight and center of gravity so that the ship will float at the waterline with level trim and heel. If, as we go through the design spiral, we find that the ship will not float at that waterline, then we have to change something--either we change the shape of the hull so that it will float properly, or we have to change the structure or outfit or cargo--whatever it takes--so that the ship does float where it is supposed to.

Eric

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That is the real challenge of design: to make a vessel float on her lines.

4. ABoatGuy

ABoatGuy Member

Well said Eric.

5. abdo

abdo Junior Member

thank you very much Eric Sponberg's

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.