John Deere ENGINES made it China

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by rasorinc, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Just looked up a JD 6105AZT engine 100HP and it is made in China.
    I'm sad.............................

2. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Some products made in China by US firms seem OK, like iApple stuff. I assume all the machining is made in USA, and China is used as toxic waste dump and slave labor camp, but products aren't compromised.

I've heard nothing but very bad things about all non-US branded Chinese engines, like those cheap scooters and small motorcycles. Brand new $300 and not worth 1/2 of that. Maybe as novelty party favors for an afternoon. LOL.

3. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

went to the KTA v12 Cummins plant in the UK years a go, castings from Germany.
    Machined and assembled in Coventry/Daventry UK
    Guys said they have always been built there

4. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

I very much doubt that. From everything I've seen whilst working there, there are many thousands of Chinese manufacturing facilities (machining, casting, final assembly..all of it) that are some of the most modern and capable in the entire world. They can and do build some quality products for a lot of companies, many of whom are US based.

They also churn out massive quantities of cheap crap too.

5. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

The problem in China ( and I have lots of stories) is even if the boss is keen to produce quality, anybody in the whole chain will substitute items for a dollar and the boss is in the dark.

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"The problem in China ( and I have lots of stories) is even if the boss is keen to produce quality, anybody in the whole chain will substitute items for a dollar and the boss is in the dark."

The new Chinese passenger aircraft might be great fun!

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The deal with China products is the controls you impose. They will do the cheapest, easiest thing they can get away with, unless you instill specific controls. Most that have had prior dealing with China have learned this the hard way, but it's the only way to insure some level of QC and "built to spec". Lay down for just a minute, let inspections go slack and they'll switch process, materials and techniques as soon as they can. Considering their legal system, you're screwed unless you're on top of them continuously. So, in the end, you can get good stuff, but you have to keep them in line, stringently.

8. steve123

steve123 Junior Member

Having worked and lived in China the last 10 years I find some of these comments somewhat narrow minded.
    That fact is if you look at everything you have in your home maybe 90% has the little "Made in China" label. Hence something stops working or breaks theres a good chance its made in China.
    You dont look at the things that never go wrong or break but if you look the chances are they are made in China.
    I have had a chinese brand car 6 years and not one problem, my previous cars have all had problems.
    I have chinese brand laptop 8 years old and still fine, my wife has japanese brand 2 years old and now on 3rd hard disc...absolute rubbish !
    Expensive wristwatch that was forever stopping, I now have a chinese brand costing $5 for a year and its accurate to within 5 seconds in that year and has a 2 year guarantee !
    Most countries have standards that have to be met for imported goods so if that standards not met who's letting them in ?

1 person likes this.
  9. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

The cherry brand of car has disappeared here because they are absolute rubbish. Great wall utes and suv's are crap. My 250cc quad is awful. It had 3 new cdi units before it used a tank of fuel. I sold a 4 hp mariner to a bloke who had bought a new chinese outboard and it blew up on the first trip. Sure there must be good stuff. Just haven't seen any yet.

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You can find individual examples of any country's or company's products that do well or worse and this serves no valuable point. China has long had a quality control reputation and most that do business there learn (again) this lesson and make adjustments, with the end result being products built to spec, which is all that's required.

It does seem statistically, that China has a bigger issue with this than other countries, but as an emerging market, given regulations (or the lack thereof), lack of transparency in regard to several international concerns (intellectual property rights, worker and consumer safety, etc.), they have a way to go, before they can take on the role of a world leader with innovation, regulatory compliance and safety. In a nutshell, China is about a half a century behind most western societies, in regard to consumer protection, workplace safety, international property right conventions, etc., and basically are enjoying their upstart freedoms, before they have to face the real music, of their sudden growth into world markets. Simply put, when they have to shut down entire city wide manufacturing, just to put on a good show for visiting dignitaries, the writing's on the wall as to what they actually need to get started on. When huge growths in cancer and other medical issues start to crop up in the next few generations, they, just like everyone else, will have to take steps to clean up their act. All the major world markets have or will have to go through this, it's just that China is still relatively new at it and isn't willing to learn, from the lessons of others yet.

11. steve123

steve123 Junior Member

Spent any length of time in China or even been to China recently ? If you think the west are light years ahead you are very much mistaken. Maybe you hear/read stories in the media and generalise that the whole of China is that way.
    Reality check...many major and medium size cities in China are way ahead of anything offered in the west, Suzhou City Jiangsu Province voted number one place to live in the world 2014.
    Obviously voted by people who travel and know, not by people who read/gossip and think they know.

12. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Well, the economic rise of China, which is more based on human, rather than natural resources, must be unprecedented in all of history. They must be doing a lot right. Whether it keeps going or falls back in on itself remains to be seen.

13. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

14. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

I don't need to live there to know my chinese products are crap. Japanese products were rubbish in the early days too. Now they set the benchmark for just about everything. Parsuns outboards are yamaha clones from china and have a good reputation here so its not all bad.

15. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Your house is probably full of Chinese products, How about TV's etc ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.