Dynamaglas Sailboat??

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by judgelm, Apr 1, 2010.

1. judgelm

judgelm New Member

I recently purchased a used sailboat that looks very similar to an O'Day, but the HIN seems to indicate that it was manufactured by a company called Dynamaglas in Florida. Does anyone have any information about this company? I am trying to determine the model, year of production, and whether it is in fact a Dynamaglas sailboat. The boat is approximately 12 feet long.

Also, the boat is missing the centerboard, and rudder. Can I use plans from a similar shape and length boat (such as an O'Day) to make a new one?

Last, the hull is quite faded and chalky. Ideally, I would like to have the light blue color of the hull brought back to it's original color. Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to do that without repainting?

Thanks!

Jim
    NH

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Jim; I have been a Florida dinghy sailor for an eon or two. I am unfamiliar with a manufacturer with that name. A lot of small boat builders have come and gone. Sail boat builders, especially, are among the ones who have gone.

Measure the centerboard case carefully and build a board thet will fit the case. You can use wood with a small amont of lead cast in place near the deep end of the board. The lead, possibly even concrete, is for the purpose of holding the board down to cancel its own bouyancy, not for ballast. The board will tend to float back up into the case if you do not do something of this sort. Use a rudder size similar to the O'day. The shape of the rudder will not be a critical matter. The size of the rudder should be similar to other boats of that general dimension.

Chalkiness can often be removed with rubbing compound such as that used by automotive paint and body shops. Actually that stuff is available at marine supply stores as well. It is a lot of work to use but it often gives good results. If the gel coat is in really bad shape you will not be able to restore the shiny surface readily, if at all. The option then becomes paint. Try the rubbing compound first. Go to an automotive paint supplier and tell them what you are doing. They'll have what you need.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.