Coil and Ballast replacement

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by James Francis, Jul 25, 2006.

1. James Francis

James Francis Junior Member

I have a 1979 305K chris craft engine with a flat cap mallory point distributor - super workhorse. However, I have recently had some trouble with a replacement coil and ballast resistor - the quality seems to be suspect. I want to replace them with some high quality made in USA parts. Mallory still makes a coil and ballast for points type distributor but they are primarily for auto/street use. Knowing that any electrical component in the engine hatch should be marine grade and must be ignition protected - would this apply to the coil and Ballast?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jim

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Not positively sure, but since there is no switching function taking place in the coil, hence, No Spark, the Mallory Coil and Ballast should be O K for Marine use. Be sure the connections are protected from the Marine enviornment.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.