water in gas tank

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by astull, Jun 19, 2011.

1. astull

astull astull

went to use my boat today and to my own stupidity after mixing the oil in i forgot to put the gas cap back on when i backed the boat in i got water in the tank. Before realizing i did this i tried to start the boat what do i need to too to get the water out of the system.the boat is an 87 bayliner with a 85 hp force outboard.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You are going to have to empty the tank to start with. If it is a portable tank the job should not be too bad. Also, take the connection off from the end of the fuel line to flush the bad fuel off. The carburetor has a drain screw on the bottom.

3. astull

astull astull

thank you for your reply tank is not removeable i believe i got all the gas out of the tank today is there anything i should add to the tank before adding new gas too it

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If the gas in your area has ethanol in it, that should absorb any small amounts of water left.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Go down to the local auto parts store and get some "dry gas". It's a fuel additive that will clean things up fairly well. Ethanol fuels will eventually too, but Dry Gas gets it done now.

6. astull

astull astull

Thanks for all the help this was a good lesson not to do it again what a pain in the but i can see why marine mechanics make good money

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.