Water in bilge

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by liloldham, Jul 7, 2004.

1. liloldham

liloldham Junior Member

New to the forum and new to boating. Just purchased a 1974 Reinell 22ft cuddy cabin with a volvo penta I/O. I put it into a local marina and it gets about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in the bilge overnight. If I leave it for 2 days it increases about a 1/2 in. Is it normal to get water in the bilge? I took it out and found some rot around the interior of the transom where the stern drive is attached. I replace the wood and covered back with fiberglass. Still have the same amt. in the bilge. I am unable to see any other evidence of damage on the outside of the hull. Nice looking boat, had been refurbished. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Was in the Navy, but Corpsmen didn't get much on repairs! Thanks!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What model drive do you have?

3. liloldham

liloldham Junior Member

Gonzo, The placque that was on the drive is no longer there, not sure how to tell. There is a number AQ170A listed in the paperwork. Thanks for the response.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

How did you reinstall the drive and transom shield? It should have two big O-rings and a bellows. They are the most common leak areas.

5. liloldham

liloldham Junior Member

I didn't remove the entire shield. I removed the drive, replaced the bellows that goes over the u-joint and cut away the damaged wood on the inside and fiberglassed back over the wood. I didn't remove the shield. There was only damage on one lower corner, port side. I am going to pull the boat out of th water again tomorrow. Is the bellow you refered to the one that covers the u-joint? There is also a small, what looks like a weep hole, in the exhaust boot, it appears machined and doesn't appear to be a problem. Thanks again for the response.

6. liloldham

liloldham Junior Member

Water in the bilge

Gonzo, You were right. I pulled it out of the water today and I filled up the bilge at my house. I have water dripping slowly from the two lower bolts. It has 6. Only dripping around the bottom two, Where the wood was soft. Will take more time with it this time and get back with you. Thanks again. Still would like to know about the bellows( is it the one around the u-joint and the weep hole in the exhaust boot) Thanks!

7. liloldham

liloldham Junior Member

Gonzo,
    Haven't had time to work on it yet, but found additional problem. Have water in the oil. Read another post where you gave some solutions but can't understand how the water gets from the back piston to the oil. It would appear it would have to go past the rings if it were coming in from the exhaust? Will check all those things mentioned in your other post but if you have the time could you educate me.
    Thanks again, and I agree with the other fellow, you should either write a book or start a column.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The water seeps through the rings. If you ever get to see an engine apart it may surprise you how fast it is.

9. liloldham

liloldham Junior Member

Makes sense. Hope that is what it is. Don't look forward to replacing the head or head gasket. Have to go to Ca. to pick up a 5th wheel before I can start to work on it. Really appreciate all the help, will let you know when I have some progress. Thanks!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.