Install out board motor Brackets on a 20 ft.Twinvee catamaran

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Go Cat Go, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Go Cat Go

Go Cat Go New Member

I am new to the forum but here goes. I want to remove my motors, re-enforce/build up my transom, re-rout my motor controls/cables, and install outboard motor brackets for my two 70 Yamaha’s feeing up some room and adding some flotation. The original transom was cut down to install the 20-inch shaft motors. I know that my transom angle is different than most V-hulls. Assuming a bracket manufacturer could build to fit my transom and it could hold the brackets, would I be able to do this and improve the performance of my boat.

Can you put brackets on a cat?

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  2. gasdok007

gasdok007 Junior Member

Im not sure what you are trying to accomplish.Does the original set up have an outboard well inside of a cut down transom?I.e. typical old style outboard mounting? You can certainly make a full transom and then bracket outboards, gaining a foot or two of cockpit space. What is your transom angle? It may not be any different than a v hull transom. Unless there is a compelling reason to bracket( motors dunk, boat swamps from transom etc) this is a rather major undertaking with minimal performance improvement compared to cost and effort.If you do have a major low *** problem then perhaps a flotation bracket would be worth it.

3. Go Cat Go

Go Cat Go New Member

Thanks for your reply. I have no well, so I take water over the transom. I will not [hopefully] sink because the hull is full of foam but it gets might uncomfortable with ankle deep water in the boat. Where the sterering cables come out at the back causes me to lose a lot of space.
    When I slide a standard framing square 16 x24 inches at the keel untill it touches the transome, and read that distance from the transome to the square for every quarter inch = 1 degree. I am measuring 2 to 2 1/4 inches so I would guess 9 to 10 degrees transome angle. I would contact Twinvee first for the correct angle. I don't want to launch into something that just won't work .Thanks again

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.