Water cooled stuffing box

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Graben, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Graben

Graben New Member

I need some help...
    On my boat i have water cooled stuffing box for the proppeler shaft. Yanmar guys said to me thet i can't take sea water from the engine, because it need it for cooling the engine and then is to hot for cooling the box.

Can i take water before it goes to the engine??! Is there any problem in you have more rpm and then goes more water to the engine and less to the stuffing box. is there enough pressure for water to go to the stuffing box???

Please help me with any sugestions

Thanx

2. bazza

bazza Junior Member

I have seen on dozens of occaisions ,water to the stuffing box coming from raw water line just before exhaust mixer elbow. yep the water is warm but doesnt seem to worry anything. engine gets full water flow for cooling. the water volume is reduced slightly to the exhaust elbow but there is generally too much water entering the exhaust anyway for what is needed for exhaust cooling and silencing. Infact on large engines its not uncommon to reduce the water volume into the exhaust to reduce back pressure. some water is simply diverted to a skin fitting to dump overboard.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The systems like Dripless use only a 1/4" (6mm) hose to feed water. It is too small to make a difference.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.