Is a Volvo sterndrive right for me?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Deering, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Deering

Deering Senior Member

I'm getting close to wrapping up the hull design for my 45 ft power catamaran cruiser and I need to nail down the propulsion system so I can move on.

I've been focusing on a shaft drive arrangement, possibly with CPP's, but after reviewing my design objectives one more time I'm thinking I should give sterndrives one last look. What really got me thinking about it was looking at Volvo's D4/DP package, and how easy it would be to design for and install - the whole package is pretty much plug'n play. I know there are Volvo critics out there (I've been one), but I hear the new D-series common-rail engines are good units.

So would something like a D4/260DP do the job for me? Thoughts?

Here's my design in a nutshell:

LOA - 45 ft
    BOA - 16 ft
    Hull beam - 2.8 ft
    Disp - ~16,000 lbs
    Draft - 2 ft

Usage - Personal. Coastal cruising, fishing, part-time liveaboard in SE Alaska and points south (and north).

Desired speed: Top speed 28 kts, fast cruise 22 kts, normal cruise 18 kts, single-engine cruise ~13 kts.

Fuel range: 600 NM at 18 kts

Priorities are on protected running gear, low maintenance, efficiency.

Some of my specific questions:

1. Is this an appropriate application for a duoprop?
    2. Are there efficiency penalties or benefits with a sterndrive over a shaft drive?
    3. Since I plan to run a good portion of the time on one engine when making slower runs, will I overload that engine or have efficiency issues?
    4. Any thoughts on the latest Volvo sterndrives? On the latest engines?
    5. Other considerations?

Any thoughts/advice would be most appreciated.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.