rebuilding

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by damacas, Jun 12, 2016.

1. damacas

damacas New Member

i am rebuilding my grandfathers boat i am not sure what it is. it is made out of aluminim and the paint is chipping off pretty bad all the wood is no good and has no engine i was wanting some ideals on what type of wood i should use to replace it with and should i sand it down to the metal since its chip off and its almost off anyways and should i use a primer and what type of motor i should use its about 20 feet long i have pictures on my phone when i get off work i will post it show you know what i have to work with i have to rewire the lights on it too

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Sanding will remove metal, which is not good. I have seen people sand right through the rivets and have the hull fall apart. An aluminum safe (aircraft type) paint remover is safer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.