Is 55 ft too big?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mark Peiffer, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Mark Peiffer

Mark Peiffer Boat dreamer

Hi,
    I have followed boatbuilding forums for a few years and this is just the best. One of the more interesting threads I followed was a discusion of the implications of wide boats fitting into the slips and other facilities. I currently own a 25 foot sloop and my brother owns a 45 foot ketch.
    We have been discussing sharing a larger boat. I think we could handle a 55 ft ketch. We usually sail out of Tampa, and head for the keys. I was wondering from more experienced sailors, is the length of concern? I have no problems with a 25 or 45 ft. But a greater concern may be the beam of 15 ft. Would this be hard to find a slip for in carrebean destinations?

2. BVI Jon

BVI Jon Junior Member

Mark,

I run a 65' x 16' x 7' Sloop out if the Virgin Islands, and have had it in marinas from Puerto Rico to Trinidad. I have never had a problem with finding or fitting into a slip. The biggest concern would be cost, as dockage rates are charged per foot of length.

Jon.

3. Mark Peiffer

Mark Peiffer Boat dreamer

Thanks Jon,

I think this subject was addressed as a forum of multi versus mono hulls. I would think that a 24 foot beam would make a bigger difference than a 15-18 foot beam. But it's nice to know from someone with experience. I still hoped to hear from somebody who cruised the east coast. I met one man who claimed that anything over 10 feet would be a big problem around Maine. But he also said he would never travel the carribean because of pirates. Do you get many pirates in the spanish main there ?
    Mark :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.