Large diameter cockpit drains.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Gabriel Torres, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Gabriel Torres

Gabriel Torres New Member

I love sailing my Pearson Vanguard in rough seas. My concern is the marginal drainage in my cockpit. I would like to glass in some 2'' fiberglass tubing to replace the 1 1/4'' hose and fittings. These fittings also concern me because of their higher profile and the fact that surfboards and other dunnage fill these areas,access is limited and I just dont want to think about it. Now they drain directly to the sides connected with a curved hose perpendicular to the drains on the sole. Should I follow the some path, sweep them aft? I need a pro. I'm a laminater in a boatyard but I could use some opinions.

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

If you are concerned about it and obvious have some experience with water there then yes do something about it. How about some pictures? I can't really get your layout.

3. robherc

robherc Designer/Hobbyist

I'm sure we can help, but without some pix, or at LEAST some decent drawings of what you're dealing with, we'd be "stabbing in the dark," and might mislead you for lack of info.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Install the 2" along side the 1.25" drains. You'll dramatically improve the ability of the cockpit to drain off a boarding wave and the lower profile 1.25" drains will get the last remaining bits of water out of the cockpit.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.