Fibreglass repairs

Discussion in 'Materials' started by jimmi, Dec 12, 2009.

1. jimmi

jimmi Junior Member

I am looking at replacing winches on a fibreglass boat and it is going to involve drilling 5 new holes for the bolts in proximity to the holes for the old winches.
    To reinstate the strength before the new holes are drilled I was wondering if it would be sufficient to fill the holes with resin or should fibreglass cloth be applied to the underside. The new winches will be taking a greater load than the old ones.
    Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

To be safe you need to grind out the entire old hole/holes and rebuild the strength back layer by layer to at least the original layup strength, preferably stronger, before redrilling new mounting holes for the new winches.

Resin on its own has no strength at all , its only a binder for the matt/cloth.

If youve ever put your hand on a sheet, wound onto a winch in a big blow, youll know how much tension there is running back to the winch- imagine one of those ripping lose and hitting a crew member in the face. Theyll be dead before they hit the deck.
    Sorry to be macabre, just trying to illustrate the importance of doing this job thoroughly.

Have fun
    J

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The use of a big *** backing plate can absorb and transmit the loads, better then hole filling. Metal backing plates are very effective as are plywood.

4. mark775

mark775 Guest

big *** backing plates rule

5. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

I love it when you guys use technical jargon!

Not 100% true but the old fishermans maxim "if it can't bend it can't break" is another favorite of mine.

6. jimmi

jimmi Junior Member

Thanks for the replys.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.