Waster seepage Help

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by crackerjack, May 11, 2007.

1. crackerjack

crackerjack Junior Member

i have a 18' with a 1985 Mercruiser 3.7l. i have water comming in and filling under the engine. i rapped the plug w/ teflon tape and its tight. tryed to look for the leak but cant see anything. might anybody know the weak spots or what to look for first? thanks

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

By the age of the boat it could be a rotted transom. Also, check the bottom zinc bolts on the transom shield. They corrode and leak.

3. crackerjack

crackerjack Junior Member

transom is in very good shape. i'll check the zinc bolds, they do look rotten..thanks

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Same problem with a customer's boat today... told him the lower bolts on the transom--stainless in this case, but very suspect. Every wave soaks them at the dock. Pumps going all the time. The transom was the only part we didn't redo because the engine was a hassle to work around.
    A.

5. rheyboer

rheyboer Junior Member

Had that problem when boat was at anchor. Bellows was the problem.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.