Lotus Nose Badge?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wynand N, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Does anyone have a round Lotus Nose (front) badge lying around to donate for a good cause - need one for the Lotus 7 replica Im building.
    Im looking for the "green / yellow" badge and not the black ones. It goes without saying I will cover all postage costs.

Btw, to keep the subject on boating, Im going to hunt a few bass later with the boat and wish me well:D

1 person likes this.
  2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Good find Hoyt..!!

Go for plastic Wynand, even cut off the small locators and stick it on, save every bit of weight to outperform the supercars :cool:

They have it for the tail as well...

Please post some pics about the project, the marine ply dash will make it boat related . . ;)

Good luck!
    Angel

PS - Oh well, I guess enamel will look better... and they don't donate them . . :p

4. hoytedow

Thanks,, Angel. Google did all the work. I typed only 3 words and there it was.

5. Wynand N

Thanks Hoyt and Angelique:cool:

However, that price for a plastic badge is ridiculous and converted to ZAR excluding postage, is more than most people in this country earns in a week even a fortnight in some cases. Postage amounts to about the same:eek:

On second thoughts, since the whole car is handmade and no manufactured parts bought sans mechanical things, why not make the badge myself..

A piece of round billet aluminum, my trusted lathe and Dremel tool (have all bits that will even put a dentist to shame) and a few hours labour should do that.
    Will go to the sign place to make me a negative an positive pull off signs of the Lotus badge to serve as guide for the Dremel cutting.
    Recess about 2mm deep between art/lettering and fill with enamel colours. When dry, on the smooth belt sander and a final polish. Job satisfaction and save a small fortune doing that.:D

I will find a way to post the build soon with lots of photos - chassis totally stripped of suspensions, engine etc at this stage as I am building the plugs/molds for nose cone, scuttle and bonnet and there after the chassis will be send for final shot-blast and powder coating. Then final assembly, ally cladding etc will start and worthwhile photos posted.
    In the meantime, here are some pics of the nosecone plug made scuttle is now underway.

Attached Files:

6. hoytedow

Try bas relief on aluminum foil and cast the resulting sshape in epoxy. http://www.helium.com/items/625868-easy-kid-crafts-projects-making-aluminum-foil-sculptures

The image of President Jefferson on the American nickel is a type of bas relief.

"Your child [or you] can make her own bas relief by carving images into the back of a sheet of aluminum foil. Dull pencils, eraser tips, wooden spoons, and popsicle sticks are some of the objects a child can use to create different shapes and textures. To prepare the surface for creating a bas relief, thumbtack a sheet of aluminum to a soft surface, such as a sheet of cardboard or styrofoam. Have your child gently press in a design using a combination of the tools above. When she is satisfied with the image, remove the tacks and turn over the foil to reveal the bas relief image. It's that simple!"

7. kach22i

kach22i Architect

What engine will you be using?

8. Wynand N

George, the engine is straight out of a Celica GT namely the Toyota 3SGTE (turbo charged) series 2 unit (4 cylinder)- I did not want the complication of the valve gear in the two later series motors for the little more extra power it makes. The motor is completely stripped of all auxiliaries, massive mountings etc and only weight 134kg complete fitted to the chassis.
    The inlet manifold is replaced with a custom build ally plenum to keep the hight down, and the exhaust manifold to turbo will be a light weigh tubular unit. ECU is a Perfect Power unit.
    The engine straight out of the Celica make 165Kw std but Im looking at a conservative of 180kw with the boost turned up a little with the mods.
    Gearbox is a Toyota W58 unit and the diff is a 3.7:1 ratio from Ford Sierra. The rear end has independent suspension.

Projected weight of the completed car is 590kg and with 180kw will have a power ratio to weight of about 310w/kg - new Porsche 911 turbo is 237w/kg to put this into perspective.
    Should see 0-100kph sprints in low 3 seconds:cool:

9. Angélique

[​IMG]
    The ‘‘A C B C’’ in the badge are the initials of 'Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman'. Perhaps an idea to sneak in ‘‘W N’’ somewhere as this is the W N version and there's a lot of yourself in the car . . :)

[​IMG]
    thanks to Hoyt​

Good luck!
    Angel

10. hoytedow

Something like:

Attached Files:

11. Angélique

OK Hoyt . . :D

That's what I meant..!! I placed it in my above post :)

Cheers,
    Angel

12. hoytedow

I am glad you like it. I tried to match the font to what was already there. Maybe make the letters bigger?

13. hoytedow

Maybe have a silver-smith or chrome-shop electroplate it?

14. Angélique

0 - 160 km/h in 3 sec is also possible... but you need 1,600 Hp tractor for that . . :D

Cheers,
    Angel

15. Wynand N

Thanks for the design with my initials added:cool: But I think it would be sacrilege to put mine on the same as the great man's....

Actually Hoyt, believe it, I have a small home build electroplating plant in my garage and can do sink, cadmium, copper, tin, nickle and chrome. Also anodizing (colors) of ally. And then I have a small portable 24ct gold plating unit for the wife with which she earn some make-up and perfume money.
    My plant consists of 12 baths (25 - 45 liters) for which I mix the electrolytes myself and a home-build rectifier (about 250A) - modified a heavy duty power supply mining transformer to 6VAC and the secondary winding, with 4 off 350A diodes on heat sinks to get 6VDC then through a pair of bigg capacitors with choke fitted between them to suppress any ripple result a near perfect sin wave:cool: For the ally I have a smaller unit that provides 19VDC.
    Why did I built this a year ago? Always need something plated and living in a small town, means sending your stuff out of town and then necessity becomes the mother of all invention.

My wife is at war with me quite often because Im of the believe one cannot have enough tools/machines.
    I have a three door garage (66m sq) filled with everything from lathe, Mig, Tig, plating plant Lotus in pieces, Grp resins etc etc - so bad I started hanging stuff from the rafters...
    I have another garage with storeroom (two drive ways into my property) and that is also filled with tools and machines, even the outside WC is stacked with wood:eek:
    My vehicles and fishing boat all have to "sleep" outside; rain or shine. Perhaps its time for a proper workshop in the backyard - have 218m sq of spare land in the back corner of my yard walled off. This will put me at piece with the old bird as she can have the garages back:rolleyes:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.