plans for wooden mast

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by icefang45, May 17, 2009.

1. icefang45

icefang45 Junior Member

27'high........5"round at base the old one is spruce i think

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Icefang, this comment of yours should win an award for the most ridiculously lazy comment ever. I feel like answering:

Remove carefully...... 34'long onsaturday I guess

3. icefang45

icefang45 Junior Member

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

4. icefang45

icefang45 Junior Member

thanks for the help senior member

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you buying, selling, repairing, rigging, what?

6. icefang45

icefang45 Junior Member

i have the original mast but when it was stored it wasnt done properly so it had a bit of rot.so im planning to build a new one.the old one is( i think)one inch x 6inch spruce laminated. then rounded

7. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Icefang,

You would get more help if you said all of these things in the beginning in detail. I could really assist you if I had something to go on. it's a bit of work to write a complete and detailed message that takes the one advising as far as possible so that simple and obvious questions have been eliminated.
    Gonzo kindly asked what you were doing, but he should already have been told.
    In any case, in another thread you were told (by at least myself and PAR) to copy the old mast for best results. You need to say whether you yourself will be doing the work or you'll be having it done. Nearly all wooden masts are made from spruce, fir, or pine. In the USA, the most popular would be spruce, followed by fir, and then pine last of all.
    the builder first sources the wood. It's possible to use a single piece of wood and it doesn't need to be perfect but it should be straight and seasoned wood. Otherwise it can be built up from laminations, which is more labor.
    1" laminations would work, but it would be faster and just as strong to use 1 3/4" laminations. Then you could look for 2"- 2 1/2" air-dried spruce or fir in lengths of 16' or so and scarf pieces end to end.
    The building of a spar is quite easy for an experienced boat carpenter, and even you might be qualified to attempt it (though you haven't said anything in that regard).
    Luckily, all the hardware is there, or I assume it is. What is the boat, is the mast deck-stepped or keel stepped, is most of the original mast alright? Then it can be added to and saved, which is the easiest choice of all.
    The upper mast is the hardest to build so rot at the bottom is easiest to fix. It may be that you don't need a new mast at all./
    Fang, it would be fair if you wrote at least as much in response as I've juist written for you, answering each question. I'd like to help but you need to tell a more complete story.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can cut off the rot and scarf a new piece

9. icefang45

icefang45 Junior Member

sorry about the short message but im not a comp litterate im a c am fiarpenter/sailor,i type with one finger.i am building it my self and comfadent it will be done. help is aprehishated.

10. icefang45

icefang45 Junior Member

dont mind the spelling

11. icefang45

icefang45 Junior Member

the mast is steped to the cabin forward you can see the step in the pic. the old mast is to far gone to save. the mast was on top of the cabin while in storage with a tarp over it the water got in over the years and ran the whole length of the mast.(years)not salvagable.also the preveos owner cut it in half. it is solid, i know a hollow mast is lighter but is it nessessary on a gaff rig the ast is so short.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      264.1 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      318.4 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      299 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      264.2 KB
      Views:
  12. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Get a boat glossery and bone up on terms. Then describe everything about the boat itself. Describe the original mast in terms of fittings, spreaders, and so forth. Describe the boom attachment, show close-ups of everything, and be complete, and please use the actual nautical terms for everything.

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It seems that there is enough left to copy. With a solid mast it should not be a problem calculating wall thickness.

14. alan white

alan white Senior Member

The mast can be solid. You need to decide what method to use (one piece "tree trunk" or several laminations). This will depend on your experience, finances, and availability of materials.
    I'm guessing your boat is around 22-26ft, but all depends on the hull design. There's no such thing as a "short" mast, only a mast that is short for the boat's length.
    Any case, the new mast should be a carbon copy of the old one. Was the original one piece or laminated?

15. icefang45

icefang45 Junior Member

as i said in my other thread the old mast is laminated, 1x6 spruce glued and shaped round. well as the pic shows the mast is history. is laminated stronger if so i am willing to spend the time and money to build one. yesterday i went dowm to the beach and cut down a stika spruce,and today ill peal it and shape it to fit for now. im going to have to weild up my own stainless hardware. my next job is the keel its steal ive scraped and grinded it down now finishing any sugestions.i was going to tremclad and then varathane for now.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.