V8 Diesels, remove 2 and run on 6 cylinders

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by markstrimaran, Sep 25, 2017.

1. markstrimaran

markstrimaran Senior Member

Seen this piston drop out on 12 cylinders big ship engines, know it will work on 6-71, Detroit. Easy with access panel.
    Thinking about a 6.5 Detroit, pull oil pan, loose two bad piston, with water damaged rings. Route injectors back to tank, pull push rods.
    Any ideas?

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

A problem that comes to mind is the firing will be uneven around the 360*, presumably, will that increase vibrations ?

3. markstrimaran

I agree it will be out of balance a bit.

4. markstrimaran

I think it would work, and the engine would run a long time.

5. Phil Christieso

Phil Christieso Junior Member

Don't forget the hose clamps and strips of rubber around the crank shaft so as to maintain oil pressure. I have done this to an engine it ran for many hours.

philSweet likes this.

6. Lepke

Lepke Junior Member

The engine will vibrate more. I would keep the rpms down and not long term. The crank isn't designed for imbalance. The missing cylinders are normally powering cycles in other cylinders.
    I did this on a 6 cylinder Enterprise. It ran with more vibration, but was only for a few hours. In Vietnam I ran a 671 for about a half hour that had taken a direct hit from an anti tank round. It didn't run good, but it got us home. Low air box pressure. Only did about 1000 rpm.

markstrimaran likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.