Epoxy Gel Time in Relation to Resin Film Thickness Question

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by ahender, Jan 18, 2009.

1. ahender

ahender Junior Member

Hi:

I am using the MGS System 335 epoxy in a resin infusion setup.

I am trying to find a balance between pot life and gel set time.

The gel time figures quoted by MGS are based on a resin film thickness of 1mm.

Pot life is usually based on 100 grams of material (not very specific as to the type of container the material is in).

Are there any formulas/figures that take into account increases in film thickness as it relates to gel set/pot life, etc.?

If MGS epoxy pot life is halved for every increase of 50 degrees F, would pot life also halve for every doubling of film thickness?

In my case I am using the 340 hardener which has a pot life of ~6 hours.

That is great for the resin bucket, however it also means I will have to keep the project under vacuum for ~4 hours at 120 degrees F before I can release the vacuum.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

I'm not familiar neither with MGS nor infusion but best way to adjust pot life with West is to use a mix of fast and slow hardener that gives the optimum result. Chancing temperature is another factor but much more complicated and has some drawbacks..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.