1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

Molds

Discussion in 'Boat Molds' started by Boo, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Boo

Boo New Member

What's the best way to find out if a mold has a patent ?

I think that you can make a 10% change and be ok.

I'm pretty sure that the design has already been changed by another company that is using the mold for another type of boat .

Surely don't want to infringe on anything . Just looking for the proper way to find out if it can be done .

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Patent or copyright ?

If you make it for yourself nobody can stop you even if it is a precise replica.

If it is for production then it is a different story. Technically I'm sure one could get around it with a couple of subtle changes... in my opinion it still is copying it. Design and make your own - if you go to a bit of trouble you could enhance some features, then look out for the competition to copy your ideas ;)

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

If the mold is made (a copy) on a specific boat with it's faults (and making some more) it's not ok wheather futher modifications are made to it or not.
    Taking measurements from one and replanning a boat is ok (kind of reverse engineering). There comes diff due fairing etc..

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I will go with Teddy on that one

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.