Looking For Berkeley 12jf Parts

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by rascat, Jul 11, 2009.

1. rascat

rascat New Member

Hello To All I Have A Problem I Bought A 1977 Baja Jet Boat With A 12jf Jet Pump And Come To Find Out The Steering Nose Is Broke Where The Fin Goes, Im On Here Hopeing There Is Some On With Extra Parts Or A Whole Pump I Could Buy. Thanks In Advance John

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi John, welcome aboard :)

To answer your post:

1) It is not necessary to capitalize every word. Writing in normal sentences is perfectly OK on here.

2) The manufacturer of your pump is still around, and appears to still be stocking parts for the 12JF- as well as complete pumps. Check out http://www.berkeleyjet.com/model_12JF.aspx
    or give them a call:
    Berkeley Jet Drive
    5725 Redwood Drive
    Rohnert Park, CA 94928
    Phone: (707) 585-0482 | Fax: (707) 585-2935

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Actually, Berkeley Jet is already dead a few decades, but these guys in Rohnert Park pretend they aren't, and make a business from selling old stock, refurbished drives and some newly made parts of terrible quality. Names: Rick Bourns, Jim Court, Gayle Brantuk.
    You can also visit www.cpperformance.com , same guys, same junk.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Is that so, CDK? Good to know... there are dealers around that pass the stuff off as new and warrantied OEM stock, the company name is the same... I hadn't thought to check deeper into who actually owns it now. They're also at http://www.seaquipment.com/company/219 among others. My bad!

5. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

Now that's a piece of esoteric info. Where'd you pick that up CDK?

-jim lee

6. rascat

rascat New Member

thanks guys, i found those web sites im still hopeing some one on here might have some parts laying around or i will have to do some creative welding.

7. CDK

CDK retired engineer

It was easy but expensive. I bought 2 units from these guys.
    Communications were very friendly and cooperative until they received payment. Immediately after that, total silence.
    I received a crate with all sorts of light alloy parts from various sources and bags with hardware that seem to have been collected by a blind man. No packing list, no instructions. Just one letter size document copy dated 1963!

The pumps probably were real Berkeley ones, just badly painted. The rest was made later from an alloy that contains more zinc than aluminum, so in fact I installed two immense sacrificial anodes that started to dissolve as soon as the boat hit the water.
    The parts were powder coated in dazzling white, but not degreased and cleaned, so the paint came off in large flakes.

I removed them after 2 seasons of misery and sold them on Ebay to a Polish guy who doesn't want to talk to me anymore.

8. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

Interesting. I had a buddy in the midwest that made a bunch of pocket change some years ago cutting pumps out of junk hulls and sending them to CP. I'd always wondered about that.

rascat : The part that broke, is it the mount for the steering fin? About 99% run -without- the steering fin. If you need parts or just want to replace the thing.. Legend, Dominator, Aggressor, American turbine are all alternatives to the original Berkeley pumps. Kinda' like PC clones in the pump world.

-jim lee

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.