1-part Topside Primer over 2-part Primer

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by stan54, Apr 24, 2008.

1. stan54

stan54 Junior Member

Hi, I'm new to boat painting and I have a small problem. I have read that layering a two-part paint such as Interlux Perfection over a one-part paint like the Interlux brightside, creates a chemical reaction and it doesn't work. The previous paint job on my 20' fiberglass cuddy cabin, used a one-part paint. Therefore the primer was also the one part primer. Right now I have it sanded down to the primer. I want to put a two part top side paint because I want to do the job once, but do it right. How should I go about preparing for a paint like perfecion or awlgrip? Should I use the two- part primer like epoxy primekote and then the two part paint over that? Will the epoxy primekote, react with the one-part pre-kote? Or should I just try to chemical strip the rest of the primer and then use the epoxy primekote and perfection? If you have any ideas about other techniques or products, feel free to point them out. Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.