Finish Coat

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Agewon, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Agewon

Agewon Junior Member

I am new to this forum and have already found numerous tips that will hep me with my project. I am making a cooler liner for a teak box and was unsure of the finishing steps. I have made a mold from plywood covered with laminate, waxed the mold with three cured coats of Meguires, and am at a standstill. My question; if i spray laminating gelcoat to the mold (After applying PVA) will my fiberglass/ epoxy layup bond to the gelcoat? I have read many bulletins that say no, and a few that give very presice directions to make it bond. I am using West Systems 105 resin.
    Or am i wasting my time? Should i just layup the glass, pull the part from the mold, and add several 6 mil barrier coats to the finish side, then paint?
    Also, i plan to use 2 part floatation foam for the insulation. Should 2" thickness be sufficient?
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. Agewon

Agewon Junior Member

To answer my own question; I have spoken with West Systems and was told that the proper way was to use waxed gel coat and allow it to cure. When fully cured, de-wax and prep surface with 60 grit. Then appy layup as usual. It seems that if the gel coat is not fully cured, the "tack" will create a barrier and not allow the epoxy to set.
    West Systems was very helpful and i would recommend their products. I hope I may have also helped anyone with the same issues.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.