233HP Mercruiser re-Power

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by bonanzaman, Jan 3, 2007.

1. bonanzaman

bonanzaman New Member

Greetings, oh great marine engine gurus! I am most likely faced with re-powering my 76 Century straight outboard due to some dumb stick forgetting to winterize his new toy, and most likely cracking the block! (Mercruiser 351/233HP). If it turns out the block is indeed cracked, (I'll know in the spring when we fire her up!) can I use anything from the existing accessories, manifolds, risers, ect, if I want to upgrade to a big-block engine? In my place, if you wanted about 300hp what engine would be easiest to replace the old 233hp with??

Thanks for any suggestions!

*Forgot to mention, I've a bit of experience building auto engines, but new to marine!

2. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

Did you say 351? Is that a ford engine?

3. bonanzaman

bonanzaman New Member

Well, that is the displacement shown in the Ops manual that came with the boat. It is a Mercruiser "Model 233" . The 351 displacement tells me it is a Ford-Based engine. Still trying to figure out this marine nomenclature!

4. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

Well, why not just replace it with a 351 crate motor? Shouldn't be too hard to find a 300 hp small block.

5. bonanzaman

bonanzaman New Member

233 Merc repower

Yes, that would be a "long block" w/heads right? Any ideas where to look?:?:
    Thanks!

6. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Yes it is a 351 Ford. Go to any reputable engine rebuilder and get a late model, 93 - 96 truck short block (roller cam engine ) add ported and polished iron heads and a 4 b carb lfor an easy 350 HP and 400+ ft-lb torque. The stock truck roller cam will work great.
    If you want more, add some good flowing Alum Hds for another 100 horses and 50 ft-lb torque. ALL your existing marine stuff will bolt right on. Just be sure to use marine type gaskets.

7. bonanzaman

bonanzaman New Member

Cool, that's what I was hoping, that makes it a do-able project for me!
    Thanks for that good news!!

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

We sell 351 base engines for about $3700.00. They are new. A 351 GT-40 MPI complete is $7,000.00.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.