1973 Robalo/Slickcraft? Please help identify and info! THANKS!

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by saintroad, Apr 24, 2006.

1. saintroad

saintroad Junior Member

Can someone identify the photos here and tell me what I have. I was told that this was a 1973 ROBALO and it does certainly appear to be one, but I cannot find any specific info/specs on the boat. Was all of the early/late 70s made by AMF/Slickcraft in MI? It has been restored and I am still working on it after just buying it last weekend for a great price from a dear friend. The HULL ID points to a LA DEPT OF WLF registration (starts with LA ends in 73) and nothing from a manufacturer. Is this common? Does this indicate transom replacement or were boats in this time period not issued HIN from the manufacturer?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Andy

2. dereksireci

dereksireci Senior Member

The latest law concerning hull numbers is CGD 79-013, 48 FR 40718, Sept. 9, 1983. I don't know if they were required before then. If so the first three letters will indicate the manucaturer. Some builders use an aluminum plate which is easy to remove. Poke your head in the bilges and elsewhere to see if you can find the hidden HIN.

What kind of wood trim is that everywhere? I think this is not the boat for you. In fact I'm willing to help you out and take it off your hands for a very reasonable price! This boat is finished out so much nicer than the gelcoat everywhere boats we build today.

Check out this post on ebay. It may answer your question.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973...cmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38632QQitemZ4627173662

The auction ended already.

djs

3. saintroad

saintroad Junior Member

That is teak. I use teak oil on it and keep it up. The restoration was fabulous and they spent alot of money (invested about $20K) in everything, so I am very pleased with the new boat. I actually saw that ad....but not until it ended too! maybe I can get the winner to scan and copy me a copy. Thanks for the "kind words" on the boat....yeah, not the right boat for me! :p

Thanks!
    Andy

4. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Purty boat! I do believe they were built by AMF at that time. Check in the anchor locker for an additional mfg. plate, and in and around any hatches or inspection ports. It's possible they were all removed during the restoration and uh...misplaced.

5. saintroad

saintroad Junior Member

Ok, found a number I assume to be a S/N - model # for the boat.
    Any Robalo experts here to help decipher the #s:

Thanks!
    Andy

6. sportman74

sportman74 New Member

1973 slickraft robalo

Hi there i recently adquired a 1977 slickcraft robalo cudy cab 23.6" with a mercury 200 optimax in exellent shape , now i couldn't see your pictures but i would sent you couples of mine see is looks a like , sent me you email address
    thanks luis from naples florida.
    :)

7. saintroad

saintroad Junior Member

Thanks sportman74. Yeah, my photos got on a server that got the boot!
    In any case, I will PM you now with my email address.

Andy

8. sportman74

sportman74 New Member

hey andy i been looking to see pictures of the same boat that i own but all of them come with i/o motor and outdrive no open transon with outboard like mine , do you see any like mine, let me know
    thanks luis

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.