20/21 ft microcruise

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by stevieB, Nov 6, 2012.

1. stevieB

stevieB New Member

I am looking to build a sailboat similar to matt laydens enigma 460 with perhaps a bit more beam. Would freeship be a suitable programme?

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

That depends on how much you know about sailboat design.

If you know how to compute the centre of effort of a foil, the moment of inertia of a mast, and the change in trim due to crew movement, then Freeship is a reasonably useful tool for speeding up some of the more tedious parts of drawing and calculating.

If you don't know how to do any of the above, then Freeship (or any other CAD program) will help you make pretty pictures, but they may or may not have any relationship to something that would actually work well as a boat.

Computers help to speed up the tedious parts of work you already know how to do. They can't and don't replace that knowledge or remove the need for it.

3. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

I was thinking along the same pass and agree that prior to playing with pictures, one needs to know basics in statics, mechanics and physics. I don't believe, that esoteric calculations are important for a simple boat except for a record breaking vessels. After all, it should float if there are no holes in the hull. Looking at the pictorial info of the other sailboats of the same caliber, you would have an approximation for your boat as well. It should be failry similar. After all, re-inventing a bicycle could be an amusing exercise as I learned myself.

4. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

And then, if one kept the same proportionate theme, increasing length to beam and slightly to freeboard and height of the cabin how much larger can you build the Enigma or Little Cruiser wuthout becomming a water hazard? Adding on aft?

Or, a 20ft sharpie 6' beam accomplished by one who might duplicate a similar plan without the knowledge of the above mentioned feats?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.