Want to introduce myself

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by RossBoats, Apr 3, 2008.

1. RossBoats

RossBoats Junior Member

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a while, unable to post on my work computer and just got internet in my pod. I'm a soldier, downrange right now. I'm taking the MacnaughtonGroup YDS and Cad course. I'm hoping to get into Yacht Design when I get out of the Army in 2 1/2 years so I'm trying to learn as much as I can while I'm don't have to worry about a place to lay my head or food for my belly.
    -Thank

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

welcome , wot is FOB Bucca

3. RossBoats

RossBoats Junior Member

The base I work on in Iraq. Stands for Forward Operating Base

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Looks like we might all be underwater soon, will need more boats.;)

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

RossB welcome to the forum - tho' after apasting from this lot you might want to go back out on patrol - it's both quieter and safer! Nice to see you anyway buddy

(not many still serving get on here, quite a few ex mind and they are all mad barstewards!! heehee)

6. RossBoats

RossBoats Junior Member

No patrols for me, I'm pure REMF. Lots and lots of paperwork and making coffee. Went outside the wire a couple time for S&G's but haven't done that for a while.

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Well done Rossboats, keep your head down & ears open for "long range incoming" and welcome to a slightly more peaceful environment - a blue zone - may you experience fair winds and calm seas in your new zone of pleasure...

8. safewalrus

Now that's what I call a sensible soldier! Keep it that way buddy! bear the insults with pride and fortitude, you know who's enjoying this war the most, and it ain't the sweaty grunt in the dust hole NO MATTER WHAT BULL5H1T HE GIVES!

Missy Lee where you get the wide eyed look of innocense from mate? certainly wasn't 'Bugis Street!!'

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Ahhh after 1955 (teenage years on) it has been all downhill :D:D:D - "growing old disgracefully" to pinch a popular bikie motto - (Ulyses Motor Cycle Club)

10. safewalrus

So it's kinda an old photo eh? explains a lot............. to much eating your own cooking I guess (it's that boiled string guv'nor)

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Yeah well, I must admit Masalai, you do look a bit wet behind the ears there, you being a sailor and all :D

Hi RossBoats, if you don't go out, how do you... well, go out ? No, I mean boating.

12. RossBoats

RossBoats Junior Member

Well, at the moment I read about boats alot. I haven't been able to sail much since I joined the army but I sailed on my college team, grew up around boats, I apparantly now own half of a catalina 25 my Dad bought. He sold my clipper marine 21 a couple months after I deployed for me and used the money to buy the catalina. Unfortuanatly its 5 hours from where I'm based in the States. I've got a spot on a thistle waiting on me in July and will probably do some phrf stuff when I get back as well depending on how often I can get away from post.

13. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Welcome Ross,
    Hit the books and be safe.
    When you get back hit the water, spend as much time as you can on any boat you can. That time will help you as much as the books. Let us know if we can help you with something. I have a decent marine library (small boat stuff) and would be willing to loan you a book or 2 if you needed. Just send me a PM.
    Gary

14. safewalrus

Duluth, nice to see you posting again! Hows it going? all well I hope!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.