Want to build modified Tancook Whaler

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by jack wicks, Oct 28, 2006.

1. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Both Oughtred's " Haiku" sharpie and Irens "Roxane" would be fast, elegant, shoal draft craft for close quarter inshore work

Attached Files:

2. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

I've seen NORTHERN LIGHT (a JOSHUA sister ship) up close when she was in Hobart a few years ago. As you say, sort-of lapstrake, sort-of multi-chine. A very nice looking hull form came out of it. I did think about building this way myself but settled for something simpler.

George Buehler's UNCLE SAM is a pilot schooner IIRC. Nice looking boat, single chine hull, be easy to build in alumin. I've got a set of plans for his POGO, one day I may build one just for fun.

We blasted all the paint off of one of our alumin workboats as it was more trouble than it was worth. Just had bottom paint.

PDW

3. jack wicks

jack wicks Wicks

I have Buehlers' book and like the looks of " Uncle Sam". I like the lap/multi chine idea also. Would like to exsperiment with putting a small radius on one edge of the planks to make for a better fit as you go up around the sides, Sound possible? May heve to try to make some type a roller set up to do this. Thanks for the input....Jack Wicks p.s. Not sure where you would start with installing the plank also, top or bottom?

4. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Possible to put in a dish/radius, sure. Worth the bother? I don't know. I don't think I'd do it but that isn't a good reason not to try. I'm lazy.

Planking - it'd depend on the design I think and if you were going to build right way up or upside down. We had a discussion on this in the metal boatbuilding forum. More a matter or preference than anything else. I think I'd plank from the keel out because I'd build the keel first, and I'd build right way up.

For something like an UNCLE SAM I think I'd use 65x6 flat bars for the frames and 5mm plate for the hull. Mainly because I have scantlings for a slightly bigger & heavier boat and that's close to what is specified there, difference being the bigger one has 6mm plate for the hull. There'd be no point building a SAM lapstrake though as it's designed to be single chine.

PDW

5. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

ROXANE and her smaller sister ROMILY are two of the best designs of the last 20 years. A ROMILY is being planned in the boat yard here but in lapstrake plywood instead of its specified strip build.
    Both HAIKU and the two above vessels are very dependent on light hull structure and minimal mast weight (ROMILY's mast is carbon fibre) to make them perform properly.

6. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Lurking on a Colin Archer site I saw a guy building an aluminum lapstrake Colin Archer redningskoite upside down over conventional wooden molds. Googled "lapstrake aluminium" (note UK spelling with extra "i") and found in under images but can't find the URL now.

7. jack wicks

jack wicks Wicks

Thanks, I'll check it out Sounds great. Jack

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.