Stretching a plan

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by rgranger, Jan 27, 2011.

1. rgranger

rgranger Junior Member

Okay

Be gentle. I've never build a boat from scratch before. I have restored four badly neglected sailboats to my credit and now find the urge to make something that is truly mine.

I'm looking at a sharpie plan that is 32' w/ an 8' beam. I'd like to stretch the beam to 8'6" which is a 6.25% increase and will put the length at exactly 34'.

Seems like a nice number to me.

My question is this. Is it really as simple as taking the original plans and increasing everything by 6.25 when I loft or am I being naive?:?:

I have four boat building books on my shelf and none of them talk about stretching a set of plans.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Considering your proportional changes are under 10%, then sure go for it, though if you wanted a bigger stretch, then you'd run into a host of other issues.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you are looking at the Chapelle sharpie, you may be ruining a perfect design. They are amazingly well behaved, balanced and fast.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.