Want to add steering console to TDB duck boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by LinedTheBlind, Jan 8, 2007.

1. LinedTheBlind

LinedTheBlind Junior Member

Hey. I'd like to get input from any boat building experts or amatuers about installing steering on a 14ft Classic TDB (see attached). I need a system that's compact as possible (for decoy storage) and that doesn't stick up above the gunnel or folded down (so the top can be placed on). The boat has no steering or power cntrols now..i've got a manual tiller outboard. I'd like to make this change becuase it's difficult to reach out of the boat to raise the motor when running in the shallows and want to move my weight towards the bow. thanks.

Attached Files:

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

It might be easier to put the motor in a well, closer to you and further forward.

Steve

3. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Go to the Stick

You can build a simple, stick steering system for the boat with quick release connectors at the engine for easy transport. Here's an example of a commercial rig: (It should be pretty simple to build one of your own for a lot less cash.)

http://www.nicksoutboardmarine.com/steeringpg6.html

4. tja

tja Senior Member

Tja

He can't move the motor forward as there are flotation boxes and other structural components to the boat that should not be altered. The stick steering would be the best option as there isn't really enough room in the cock pit for a steering wheel. If the stick goes above the cockpit cover just cut a slot in the cover to let the handle through. Good luck.

5. RAWRF

RAWRF Junior Member

Have you thought about using foot controls for steering like the ones that operate the rudder on kayaks? These are super simple. You don't even need pulleys, just strong cord or cable, I used to use starter cord on mine because it is very strong with low stretch potential and ran it through plastic tubing at bends and wear points.

6. LinedTheBlind

thanks for the input. my one big concern regarding stick steering (with remote throttle) is that it requres two hands (vs one hand for tiller motor). When running my current set-up, i usually have the tiller in one hand and the spot light in the other for the early morning duck hunts.

7. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Perhaps you could assemble a list of the limitations, advantages and dream scheme desires so we have a stationary target to shoot at. Otherwise, this becomes a guessing game akin to, Is it animal, vegetable or mineral?

I'd be interested in offer-up some concrete solutions for you, but there seems to be a list of stuff, as yet undisclosed, that just pops-up to change the paradigm of the thought process.

8. LinedTheBlind

Chris, thanks for your help.

9. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Some motors have tiller extention kits.
    When you do go to a steering system, you'll have to tuyn loose of the tiller anyway. So lets just change rhe topic to "remote" operation and solve it. Even then, lifting the motor is still not addressed. There are going to be trade offs, decide if they're going to be worth it.
    Now go take a look at "Surface Drive" on this forum. Google some and see how Gator Tail, ProDrive, Go Devil & a couple others do it.
    ( they use a modufied starter motor and a mini winch drum ) Their other remote control stuff is fairly simple.
    Add it up, maybe cheaper to buy one of their smaller motors. THEN you can run in 2" of water no problem cher.

10. alaskamokaiman

alaskamokaiman Junior Member

Look at Mokai.com they have steering and throttle all in one. I own 3 and just love these little boats.

11. LinedTheBlind

Ted, I'm familiar with mud motors like go devil and while those with the tiller extension would allow me to operate from the front of the boat, it would also get in the way of passangers and large decoy bags stowed behind me. While I think mud motors are great, I don't think it's the right choice for this boat. Thanks.

MokaiMan, I had a long hard look at the mokai boat before i bought my first duck boat. decided against it due to small size and all the shallow muddy areas that i get into. Mokai said the jet motor doesn't do well in such areas. But their combo steering/throttle may be just what i'm looking for. I'll definately look into it. thanks.

12. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

===="Ted, I'm familiar with mud motors like go devil and while those with the tiller extension would allow me to operate from the front of the boat, it would also get in the way of passangers"=====

Then you aren't familiar with the NEW style mud motors. NO tiller. They are JUST like a OB. Steering wheel, tilt and trim, electric start. Been a few years since you visited a webpage? Give a look

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.