Moment of inertia

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ghisio, Oct 13, 2007.

1. ghisio

ghisio New Member

Hi,
    I am a student working on a thesis about the effect of moment of inertia in yaw during a tack...Can anybody of you give me some information or tell me where to find any?

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Well if you make a call on the pivot point and know your mass distribution you can calculate this simply enough, in real life the pivot point moves, another problem will be the damping coefficient.
    For texts on this look at control systems textbooks particularly rudder control system design for ships.

3. mgpedersen

mgpedersen Junior Member

Tacking Model

Is this what you're looking for? As an added bonus it has all they funny math symbols and stuff :)

Attached Files:

4. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Damping could be significant, consider that a light weight catamaran comes about real sluggishly because of the hulls dragging in the water. A similar, or even much heavier mono-hull can often be whipped around the centerboard pretty quickly.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.