Walking in the wreck garden

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by cthippo, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Very interesting. Using old ships that way was quite common around the turn of the 20th century. Much of the SODO (the industrial area) of Seattle was a mud flat prior to 1900. During the gold rush to Alaska and a latter small one to the North Cascades, many sailing ships were simply abandoned. So Seattle had a lot of them dragged to the flats and buried. The hills in Seattle ( the Denny Regrade for you history buffs) were sluiced down onto the flats and the ships were buried. Now most of that area is Boeing Field and a lot of warehouses and industries.

Many years ago a friend of mine was the head plumber for the city and worked on all the sewer and water lines and they were constantly digging up old ships. The mud preserves them.

I guess Everett made a similar decision about what to do with abandoned sailing ships.

2. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Two of the Boats had the "Long Line" reels for Halibut long lining. Sometimes they were converted to Hauling nets for the Salmon fishery as well.
    That metal stuff is expensive. I'm surprised all those old Direlects hadn't been ***** of all that metal for the Scrap prices.

You guys are not only good boat people, your pretty good at the Cyber World as well. I didn't know photos from space were that good. I guess I'd better not be 'going' outside any more. I might make "Google world" eh? :)

3. skyking1

skyking1 Junior Member

Thanks for posting those pics. I took my dad's last boat up to Everett to get the rails fitted by Railmakers, and I was just across the island from those wrecks. It is funny what you just miss seeing.

4. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

It never ceases to amaze me what can hide in plain sight. Very visible wrecks can be there for years, yet when you ask, no one can remember ever having seen them.

5. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

That wasn't low tide Hoyt!

-Tom