Restoring aluminium boat shine

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Mr Efficiency, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I just happened to be listening to a radio talk-back program featuring a home cleaning remedy expert called Shannon Lush. She had one call from a boat owner wanting to know how to restore the new-boat shine to his aluminium boat. (Not sure you'd want to increase the glare, myself ) The answer was put a few soggy used tea bags in panty hose and wipe over the surface. Easy. Haven't tried it, but apparently the tannic acid will take the oxidation off quite easily. And I doubt it can hurt the metal, I remember aluminium teapots were once pretty common.

2. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I guess the attraction is that the only cost is in the elbow grease, assuming there are tea drinkers in the household to supply the used bags.

4. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I think beer is the answer.

Drink enough of it and you don't give a **** what your boat looks like!

5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

All good tips......... put on your pantyhose.............fill em with teabags........get drunk.........roll around your boat till its shiny........easy.:eek:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.