Wake to surf on-best hull

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by davidb, Oct 25, 2006.

1. davidb

davidb New Member

Would like opinions on best trailerable inboard boat capable of producing largest curling wake at 9-12 mph. Wake damage to others not a concern as have private lake 10 to 70ft deep. I suspect something other than traditional wakeboard boat is probably better.Possibly inboard center console? Would like very high freeboard to be able to carry massive water ballast bags. Looking to try for shoulder high or head high wake. What boat have you seen make the biggest wave? Many thanks.

2. Bob S.

Bob S. Junior Member

For a wake that high you are going to need a 400' freighter doing about 18 knots

3. enzo24

enzo24 Junior Member

Centurions 24' Enzo is the only boat designed specifically for wakesurfing. with the switchblade option, it puts out the exact wave you are asking for

4. enzo24

enzo24 Junior Member

Centurions 24' Enzo was designed for wakesurfing. if you order it with five ballast tanks and the switch blade, you will get the exact wave you asked for

5. SmithCraft64

SmithCraft64 Junior Member

My SmithCraft will probably beat that if I keep adding weight. Your not concerned about wake damage? What will shoulder to head high wakes do to the shore? Thinking on a average man of 5' 10". Sounds more like a tsunami clear the beaches before shoving off. With the kidding aside are you a competitor or just a weekend enthusiast?

6. enzo24

enzo24 Junior Member

Smithcraft? i've never heard of them.

7. SmithCraft64

Check it out in the boatdesign gallery. I'm doing a complete restoration on her. It's a 17' 1964 Smithcraft runabout. It's my understanding that they were built in Australia under Quintrex and then retagged and sold in America. (I'm not sure of that though.)I've only found a couple of other pictures of them and only know of one other person that owns one. He is a member of this site also. Search Smithcraft to find my other posts. It's powered by a 850Merc outboard engine. It's a progessive piece of work. I work on it when I have the time to do it right. So it will take me awhile to finish. But I'm trying to post pictures as often as possible to show anyone thats interested in a small boat project. thanks for asking, SmithCraft64

8. khasmoth

khasmoth Junior Member

How about 17' SEARAY INBOARD BOAT?

9. enzo24

enzo24 Junior Member

Searays are Inboards with an outboard drive if i'm not mistaken, and you can't surf with any sort of out board drive or you WILL cut your toes/feet off the first time you fall on a surf board. The Enzo is a V-Drive, you would have to grab the bottom of the boat and pull yourself past the rudder to get to the prop, so there is no chance you will lose any body parts while surfing. I have surfed long enough to know.

10. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Woah, wait a sec. In what towboat water sport does the person being towed actually come close enough to the boat for that to be a concern? When you are on the end of a tow rope, you are well clear of the boat and prop regardless of whether that prop is behind or under the boat. Right? Even surfing beside the boat (not a very bright idea, IMHO), you're far enough off to the side- and behind- that you shouldn't be able to hit the boat if you fall.

11. enzo24

enzo24 Junior Member

Its called Wakesurfing. You still use a rope to get out of the water, but one you get up and riding you toss it back into the boat. it gives you a lot of freedom in what you can do. It is litterally right behind the boat, and you are only going 9-11 miles an hour. the reason you can't have a stern drive is that sometimes you dip down towards the boat, and if you fall the stern drive is right there. i have heard of people who have tried to surf behind stern drives and got hurt doing it

12. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Riiight... can't say I've ever heard of that, or seen it, but maybe we Canucks just have a better sense of self-preservation than most :D Doesn't strike me as a very smart idea, regardless.
    Given that description, wouldn't a jet drive recessed into the transom make a bit of sense?

13. enzo24

enzo24 Junior Member

If you want to see it, go to www.centurionboats.com. they have a video of thier pro surf team, it is called wakesurf tease. a jet drive is not needed because of the placement of the prop. the jet drive would also probably mess up the wave, as the prop helps shape the wave, and i don't want a jet spraying water into my face. also, and i may be mistaken, but i belive a jet drive kind of makes the boat ride on top of the water rather than in it, while the prop helps pull the stern into the water, further enhancing the wake. it doesn't sound very safe, but I wakeboard too, and i would say that it is a lot safer than wakeboarding.

14. SmithCraft64

In answering: I think you thought of it as a wake surfing boat it is definatley not one of those.Question, Why not just go to the ocean and surf? Are the dangers really any worse? I'm a certified diver and am aware of most if not all of the dangers in respect of the sea. The ones that are the most dangerous are man caused. Mostly from nets, ropes and fishing line. How much danger is really involved with your sport? Just curious is all. Is the ocean beyond your reach. Too far away? I guess it's yours also enzo24? I haven't seen the person who started this thread since he originally posted it (davidb). lol Your doing a fine job for him though.

15. enzo24

enzo24 Junior Member

Thanks. i have tried to be of some help. In response to your first question, i had a friend who had surfed in california all his life come and wake surf with us. he said that surfing in california was much more dangerous than wake surfing because you are moving so fast and there is a lot of water that can come down on you. There are a number of reasons to surf with a boat. one is that you are not limited by how long the wave lasts, you are only limited by how long you can stand up. another, and this is my biggest reason, is like you said i don't have access to the ocean. i wish i did, but then again it would be hard to live without lake powell. In response to your saftey question, I have found that there is very little danger in wakesurfing, because you are moving very slow and the wave is really soft.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.