Wake size

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sidewinder111, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Sidewinder111

Sidewinder111 New Member

I am trying to increase the size of the wake without weighing down the boat and sinking it. I understand there is no replacement for displacement but can a foil oir the like be used to make better use of the existing displacement?

I have seen some ski boats with plate or foil attachments to the stern (and on in-boards accross the transom) that i believe are used to create more wake.

Has anyone done this and does it work?

Thanks.

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Why?

The tabs control running angle, giving better control through the speed range of the vessel.

Tim B.

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Wakeboarding

Attached Files:

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Are you talking about wakeboarding foils like Malibu's "Wedge"? This is essentially a small foil, similar in shape to that of a Moth (or an airplane for that matter) but mounted upside down; when it's extended into the water, it pulls the transom down. These devices put horrendous loads on the structure of the hull, but they do work better than loading the bilge with concrete blocks. So far only Tige and Malibu offer such devices as factory options, and they only put them on new boats that are properly reinforced.

It's very important when using such devices to be sure that you are very far from shore before deploying them. Deploying one too near shore can cause a wake big enough to tear debris, driftwood and even other boats free from the shoreline and into the navigable channel.

5. Sidewinder111

Sidewinder111 New Member

MArshmat I am not talking about the Wedge from malibu (I have seen it) because i have an outboard and something like the wedge will only work with an inboard cause of the position of the Wedge and the prop.

I am talking about foils that will extend of the stern on either side of the outboard (and therefore prop) and they will also create a less than 180degs angle with the bottom of the boat meaning the foils will create more drag and therefore i am assuming more displacement.

Do you know if this will work?

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Something like a trim tab, then? Like this?
    Such a device does nothing at all when it's up, and forces the stern to rise higher when it's down. They're mainly used to climb to plane faster and to hold plane at slower speeds. If anything it will make the boat ride higher and reduce the wake size when it's in use.
    Do you have more information on the kind of device you're talking about, ie. photos?

Attached Files:

• mout.jpg
      mout.jpg
      File size:
      10.8 KB
      Views:
  7. Sidewinder111

Sidewinder111 New Member

Matt that is what i was talking about - thanks. You have now pointed out what i wanted to know, that they wont work and that there is obviously no other way to create displacement but weight.

Thanks.

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

For reference, this is the other option:
    Malibu's Wedge hydrofoil, designed to replace concrete blocks and water bladders. This actually does pull the stern down and IS a perfectly good substitute for extra weight in a wakeboard boat. http://www.malibuboats.com/wedge.aspx

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.