Keep you and your boat safe and insured

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by margarethquizon, Jun 25, 2012.

1. margarethquizon

margarethquizon New Member

We don't know when calamity will strike. That is why we should consider ourselves to have insurance for ourselves and for our boats so that if the tragedy happens we can depend on the insurance company for our assistance like <company name removed>.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

I consider it better to go uninsured so I won't get into places where insured boaters get calamity strikes on me :)

3. jordainwilliams

jordainwilliams New Member

I guess you should also be insured TeddyDiver. We should all have insurance for our boats..

But Teddy, I know what you are thinking about. :)

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Insurance is where they bet you $3million that you won't drown at sea.

They pay only you if you win the bet ! :)

There are lots of people who feel secure with an insurance policy, and a small but growing group who actually have cause to claim, and find that a clause in the smallprint invalidates their entitlement.

Do you know why contracts have small print ?

Is it :-
    a) Because they don't want you to read it ?
    b) Because if they printed it out full size, the cost of the paper alone would exceed the initial premium ?

is this thread an advertisement for "Boat Insurance Ft Lauderdale" ?

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Folks you better have a very close look at the insurance policies you might have. Barring an anvil falling from the sky, you're probably not covered in the event of most mishaps. I know this from experience both working for and making claims with marine insurance companies.

6. racquelrustia@y

racquelrustia@y New Member

If this is a advertisement for <company name removed>. We should try to find out if this Insurance company if it is really good..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

And lot of first time posters hanging around ;)

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Can you get insurance from first time posters. Or insurance from bad insurance.

After 10 years you got free insurance anyway.

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Have always carried liability insurance --have never carried loss of vessel coverage --likewise with my auto's. As a matter of fact this is the first house i've carried any insurance on other than liability. Reduces insurance cost by about 75%. Another route if you really feel you need insurance is to share the loss 50/50. That is on a $100,000 policy set it up for $50,000 deductiable. In any case you're luckey to collect 25% on any claim. My opinion is Insurance across the board is the biggest legalized robbery on the continent with medical leading the pack.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If you come in my marina I would expect you to have insurance or keep away from me.

Its no good saying Oh I got insurance its ok if I damage your boat , No it is not ok , your insurance will repaier the boat yes but not deliver it to a place where works can be made or haul the boat or my travel expenses.

So no the cost of the repair can be insignificant.

11. erik818

erik818 Senior Member

I have the same aproach as Viking, only liability insurance for the boat. Part of the insurance fee for a full value insurance is to cover fraud and another part is to pay for the salaries and profits for the insurance company. I'd rather avoid those costs and take the risk myself. If I damage or loose my boat I just have to repair it or buy another one. Life will be happier if I avoid authorities, banks and insurance companies.

Erik

12. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

You travel to the US,right?? Someone I know was in Florida and broke his leg...without travel insurance...went to the hospital and they told him it would cost $25k to fix.He drove back to Toronto- 2 days driving at 13 hours a day,popping pills and icing it all the way back.

Travel insurance costs little,so why not?

So tell me,have you been hurt and gone to the hospital? If so-tell me what happened plz.

13. viking north

viking north VINLAND

You are asking me to qualify my distrust of insurance companies. Sorry West not going to happen, I'm old enough to know better. However it doesn't mean i'm stupid enough not to buy insurance. It just means I have no choice but to "dance with the devil in the pale moon light". However i don't have to keep in perfect step to his tune, I simply pick those notes which are the best bang for my buck. I.E. Purchasing the best liability and highest deductiable I can to maximize protection in a cost effective manner.My new build will cost me in the order of $30.000 excluding my labour and thats with alot of used gear and wheeling and dealing. I'm aming for 2 million liability, might carry $20,000 repacement with a $10,000 deductible if reasonably priced.. If I sustain a total loss my realistic estimate/expectation, is a $10,000 settlement. To get a $20,000 settlement realistically I would have to insure it for $50,000 at which point it become cost prohibitive to me. It's just a personal financial and mindset choice --

14. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

It's only common sense to get the best bang for the buck.

Not asking to qualify anything... in the past 95% of the people I have run across who whine about health insurance costs- yet can afford them-don't carry and go to the hospitals expecting free care whenever they wreck themselves. Freeloaders off the system.

Didn't think you were one.. :)

BTW a few years a guy ran into a weekender I had and scratched the hell out of it and tore off a bunch of railing.
    I asked him for his insurance,he said he had none and "too bad for you".
    I stood up...I'm 6'4 220..and took his double ocean kayak off his boat.
    He didn't say anything else.

15. viking north

viking north VINLAND

6 foot 4, 220 lbs-- Christ i best change my buisness like tone in replying to your posts :D. The guy is luckey you didn't lift the deck off the vessel. I get your point 100% regarding the emergency planning of some (most) people. It's why I Bike-- Jeep--Sail--Hunt--and generally hang out with a select few. I just got sick and tired of being the emergency supply and maintenance man. Sad to say but i had at one period reached the point in boating where my attitude was if they neglect to maintain their vessel at anchor or at sea or plan a 100 mile trip on a 1000 mile voyage then F--k em--it's the law of natural selection. To avoid that stressful decision i now travel alone or very very carefully select. ----