Kiwi Houseboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jemsto, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Jemsto

Jemsto Junior Member

Seasons Greetings from Down Under,
    No houseboats here coz its a bit windy but still
    will do one as I like them .
    Been boating since 69 ( Sea Nymph V13 ) ( then Dad had the 146 then the 16 ) . I suggested name "Adrienne's Joy" for the 13 as was Mum's name and she was away in Christchurch at the time
    and we were supposed to be shopping for a Sunburst .

Now at 61 and disemployed just doing drawing ( not " designing" PAR ( RIP ) )
    boats and the odd poem to go . Doing a retirement afloat home with a bit of moving about
    ~~~ Hauraki Gulf ~~~ so as always liked multi hulls its a cat hull houseboat but styled like a 40's 50's basic launch/workboat that wood look well on the Kaipara here ( go visit Sam Hunt and demand why he didn't answer ) ( carry shotgun in case ! ) .

Agree with Manie ( u beat us ! ) ( once ) and others barge/mono better for low windage and payload but as a multi fan am going that . People keep saying multis are poor loadcarriers but don't you just design to the payload required ?

The Polynesians traversed thousands of miles with dozens of persons ( the odd gingerbread man among them ) & pigs & rats & kumara aboard because they built boats to fit . So just design to fit .
    p.s. see my " houseboats via JEM " on pinterest .

Merry Xmas All , J.D.

2. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

You need to add links 'cause an't no one got time to search for what you want them to go look at.

3. Jemsto

Jemsto Junior Member

Thank u James for replying : that is just a p.s. for people interested in houseboats ( people know pinterest ? )

MY Design is not there . Don't know how to do photo stuff so can only give numbers : ( top of class arithmetic primary : bottom mathematics high )

LOA 10.00 LWL 10.00 BOA 3.6 ( & gunnels/trim ) BWL .900 DRAFT .400 HOA 2.8 HAW 2.4 B.deck clear .500 L/B 11:1
    weight 2,200 kg (build allow ) payload 1,500kg ( good to carry stuff ) DISPL . 3,700 kg " hull speed " 7.67 knots cruise 8 knots max 16 . 33 ( @ 80h.p. /3 tonne )
    ( see useful formula page 114 " Multihulls for Cruising and Racing " Derek Harvey 1990 ) Cheers 'n' tables .

4. Niclas Vestman

Niclas Vestman Senior Member

Did a total amateur model in Delft Ship, of one very similar, not long ago. LOA 10,5, BOA 3,6, Displ 3600kg, Draft, 0,25, HAW, 3,2m (sleeping loft with aft balcony for maximum space to accomodate lage combined living are and work shop, makes the height a little higher than prefered). In the forward part pantry to the left center, seating in the middle, and passage to front deck to the right. Using lowered floors in the hulls in the front part, to be able to lower roof height and wind sensitivity. But probably nothing at all what you had in mind. Houseboat.jpg

5. Niclas Vestman

Niclas Vestman Senior Member

Delft gives 2kw as power prediction for 7 knots. But my guess would be minimum 2x8 to 2x15 hp on account of windage.

6. Jemsto

Jemsto Junior Member

Thanks Nic for responding : can I call you Saint ?

No, actually sort of bit similar, except for the height/lofty thing. I can't do those Freeship/Delft calcs. ~ my yacht design computer is my poor old brain ~
    and as I like to know the exact displacement I do hulls with strait lines so can easy calculate. Love curves ( see my "pirates i have known") but as world's worst boatbuilder have to build 'em strait. Alum. boats have that little kinked bow so I copied that, also old scows ( Auckland 100 years ago ) .
    My stern is also kinked in to give narrower transom. Hulls are asymmetric with insides straight thru to minimize any bow wave. House is also asymm.
    with side deck on one side only . Cheers and thanks again.

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I guess the main problem with a cat as a houseboat, is you lose useful vertical height, by having to allow clearance down the tunnel, and the slender hulls don't offer much accommodation. So everything gets raised up, to be on a par with a barge-style boat, so the windage issue is exacerbated. Also the much smaller waterplane area means you have more draft for the same displacement, and increases in loading increases that draft more readily, and then tunnel slap becomes more likely.

8. Jemsto

Jemsto Junior Member

Yes, exactly, Mister E. , so will only sneak out of the mangroves on calm days. My HAW ( height above water ) woodn't be much more than a modern
    ( i.e. ugly, high-sided ) mono powerboat . No accommodation in hulls ( storage, tanks etc. ). Accomm. all one level for oldies ( chair-lift to top-deck ?! ) .
    More draft is actually good as helps not going sideways. Midsection is deep-vee ( 24 deg. ) ( well, half a vee as asymm. ) so shood also help with staying on course.

Cheers .

9. Jemsto

Jemsto Junior Member

Bay of Small Whales ~~~ Whangaparaoa ~~~

The lay of the land
    drifts out, u see,

In the distance, missed,
    details of coastline
    where the weather would be .

The bay of the sand
    u played on, a child,

The gulf ~~ in yor memory ~~
    the light sparks :
    all is shining ; its mild .

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Niclas Vestman likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.