W.H.White NAVAL ARCHITECTURE

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ongolo, Sep 27, 2003.

1. ongolo

ongolo Junior Member

Hi all,

I am clearing out my boat, having done all electrinics and pc boards, I am now onto books.

I have a copy of an english book called Manual of Naval Architecture by W.H.White second edition published in 1882 by John Murray, Albemarle street London.

This book was written not long after Froude made all his experiments and these are described in much detail in this book.

The book has 672 pages and is complete and considering that it is 121 years old in rather good condition.

I no longer need it, so anybody with a real love for valuable old books interested?

Regards Ongolo

2. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

If it were in the public domain I would be interested... so I could scan it and post it or sections of it on the site :) Would make for great reading and an interesting historical reference for many who otherwise might not see it.

3. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Ongolo - I have to admit to an interest. ;-) I have two of Dixon Kemp's books from that period, and would love to add another. What kind of price are you looking for?
    Steve

4. ongolo

ongolo Junior Member

book

Hi there,

I have had no income for the last couple of years while I built my 55ft gaff schooner, the boat is finished and so is my money.

Under these circumstances as much as I can get, what ever is reasonable. I hope you understand, if I would be rich, I would honestly give it away for free to a worthy man, but I cannot afford such luxuries.

I hope you understand. So what would be a reasonable offer?

I am also trying to sell a 20kg Gibeon Iron Meteorite, if I sell that for a good price, I CAN let the book go cheaper. :)))

Or I still have about US$20000,- worth of a 512 page book SMALL ARMS SHOOTING AND BALLISTICS (500 about for US$40,- each) to sell, that would also bring the price down. :)))

When I am not so hard-up anymore. So what is reasonable under the circumstances.

regards ongolo

5. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

I like Jeff's idea about posting something on this site. Could whoever buys it send some particularly interesting section to Jeff for this purpose?

6. ongolo

ongolo Junior Member

naval architecture

Hi Steven,

I would put it on if I could,

One intersting thing of this book was Froude's bucket machine in which he simulated stability of boats in vertical motion.

That scared me so much, that I gave up catamarans on which I was hooked bevore.

Question : what would be interesing to others?

Maybe I am going the wrong way about selling it, (I always do :))), but nobody wants it.

regards ongolo

7. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Ongolo,
    Maybe if you asked a specific price for it, we would know whether we are really interested. Right now, no-one wants to name a price in case it's waaaaaay off.
    Steve

8. yipster

yipster designer

can you explain a little?

yipster
    (just very interested and not trying to drive up or down the price)

9. ongolo

ongolo Junior Member

I try to explain

Froude in effect explains the loss of stability when a vessel is on top of a wave and the wave drops away. Thers is a point of apparent weightlessness as the vessel gegins to drop in to the trough of the waves.

At a certain point in time there is zero stability. That is also the reason, why the spray blows away from the crest of a wave. The "weightless" water gets blown away.

Tony Marchaja explained these things also in PBO referencing to Froude, but I only understood when I read Froudes observations explained in the book mentioned.

There is a Titanic Forum in which they also quote the book Manual of Naval architecture by Sir w.h.white while they are onto rudder design.

No matter what anybody says, and no matter what the beam of a cat, given the right conditions, it will capsize. So will in all probability a monohull, but as we know, the latter will come up again. However, I shall not enter into pro and con of different types of boats, we all make out own choices.

A Cat is certainly nice, but I would not swap it for my 55ft gaff shooner. 5 tons up ot not makes little difference to my boat and that is important to me.

regards ongolo

10. ongolo

ongolo Junior Member

book price

Hi all,

I am considering the matter of price for the book, give me a little time.

I have found only six references to this book on google - one of them the fifth edition from 1900.

Nowhere at Amazon or any other site could i find a reference to this book. I think is is extremely rare.

I also have the 1934 Admirality Manual of Seamanship, but having a gaff schooner, I should not sell this. They still knew :)))

Having been a German once, I hate to admit it, but the British were alsways the better sailors, so were the french.

Maybe that was the reason, that the Germans specialized in Submarines because they were secondrate sailors? :))

regards ongolo

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Copyright

The book in question is probably out of copyright and in the public domain now.

I also happen to have the Navy ferrocement boat building manual from the 70s. It was never copyrighted (all US govt pubs are in the public domain by definition), and if someone wants to put it on the web, leave a message and I'll make arrangements to get a copy to you.

12. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

I would be very interested in putting it on our web site if you would be willing to send it to me. (this goes for any and all interesting material which is in the public domain but not readily available yet on the web. I also happen to have just obtained a high speed scanner today too and don't mind spending the time to scan and ocr and convert to html and/or pdf anything interesting)

Thanks very much in advance.

Jeff

webmaster@boatdesign.net

13. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

To Ongolo: I don't know about German sailing as a whole, but there have been some excellent individual German sailors (see http://sailingworld.com/sw_article.php?articleID=1880). German naval architecture has always been excellent and often under-appreciated.

[My ancestry is a mix of German and English; it's unclear which nation / region the Ditmore name came from.]

14. fishboat

fishboat Junior Member

less than I thought

On www.abebooks.com the book appears to be going for $60-$100 USD

AbeBooks is a good place to find many old books (it's a clearinghouse for small book shops across the nation & in some countries around the world)

15. ongolo

ongolo Junior Member

book price

Ok that settles it, because to send the book from here, would cost an extra US$40,- or more. So I suggest you have a better bargain.

This shows that Amazon is NOT the greatest. That is where I could not find it.

regards Ongolo

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.