VSV and CAROLINA FLARE

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sean Herron, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hello...

I have been intrigued to the point of salivation by a number of things lately - and for anything to hold my attention for more than 3 months is unusual...

The VSV - the Wally 118 and others - old Ironclads - Spanish American warships - and Thunder Row Aronow and Levi offshore boats - how to put all that together in a design package...:)

I would like to hear from people who have had direct experience running a VSV hull in chop and high seas - does the bow plunge or rise to same - it has to rise some - but I still imagine cutting through the top break and just soaking everything - not a hullform for an open day boat...

Random thought stream here - sorry - any input would be appreciated...

Back to making tank models...:)

SH.

Attached Files:

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

From the videos I have seen the VSV simply cuts thru the waves , as lifting or going over them would create G loads that would shorten any spine.

So the flair on a Carolina boat or the old Lake Union boats can not be used as they would add too much to the upward accelerations.

FF

3. juiceclark

juiceclark Previous Member

I don't get the Carolina flair. All those boats are powered to cruise at 30+ knots with spray falling all over the back of the boat. Well, the flair only throws water when you're going slow in big seas...up and down. Buddy Davis must have wanted a helipad on the bow when he designed that flair - can't think of another purpose except for the fact that he sold a boatload of boats for the looks of it.
    http://www.buddydavis.com/58sport_photos.aspx#

It just seems to me that if a designer really had some balls, he'd put the flair at the back of the boat where the spray is flying up and douching everyone in the cockpit. You want lift toward the transom when running anyway I'd imagine. I like how, on this ol' 48' Ocean, they have a nice little waterline step to deflect spray. With a more modern, funky boat why not put a few steps up and put more boat at the transom? It looks cleaner than a dive platform with spray deflectors running up the sides and could trap side exhaust and run it backward.
    http://www.yachtsalvage.com/Listings/YS082020.htm

Boats that are wide in the front and skinny in the back -- who thought of something so diabolical!? Seems like Wally has the right idea. Put a knife in the front and a condo in the back.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.