FEM Open source software

Discussion in 'Software' started by GHD, Dec 6, 2010.

1. GHD

GHD Junior Member

For those who are motivated in learning FEM softwares, this one was developped by "EDF" which is Electricité de France.

Very very powerfull, but quit complicated to use. A part is in french, but you can find also documentation in english. The documentation is very clear !!

www.code-aster.org

It runs on linux, but you can run it on a virtual machine, which is already prepared on www.caelinux.com

I use VMware to run it. (which is free if you have the Virtual Machine already prepared)

CAELinux 2008 for VMware :
    http://caelinux.com/CMS/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=40

Normaly, CAELinux also includes OpenFoam (for CFD), but I don't have it on my computer. I don't know why, I'll find out !

enjoy !

Horia
    Switzerland

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Thanks for letting us know about the EDF software.

Another open source FEM software package is Z88 Aurora from the University of Bayreuth, Germany.
    http://www.z88.uni-bayreuth.de/z88aurora/neuigkeiten_e.htm
    Linux, Windows 32 bit and 64 bit, and Mac versions are available. It includes a pre-processor, solver, and post-processor.

I have not tried it yet but it looks quite interesting. Of course before using it for any critical analysis it's suitability needs to be verified.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.