Voyager 30 ???

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Wavewacker, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

There are not many sailboats in my area and the list gets smaller in my price range. There is a Luger Voyager 30 that I found. It's a failed project boat with an interior upgrade needed.

I googled the boat and went through 8 pages, but only old ones for sale, no real information. I did learn that they made a kit boat, not sure if this is one or not.

I can get this for less than the wood would cost to build a 30' boat. I like the stern and motor well area and might work with a custom fabricated rear mount for my bike, yes, my bike.

Does anyone have any information on these, what to look for and other tid bits? They said it's the largest trailerable sailboat without any permits being required with it's 8' beam....I like that too. Draft is deep at 4', but maybe that can be shaved some. I intend to motor more than sail, but would sail as well.

Intended use is to do the great loop for about a year aboard.

Thanks!!!

2. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Just wondering if any of you guys were sailing as far back as '85, LOL, no one knows anything about the Voyager?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I know of one for sale in Texas. It's an Ed Monk design, but I've never been especially impressed with this particular one. It had a few keel configurations and rigs available, likely some interior differences in the model run as well. They didn't make a many, nor did this model run very long. I wouldn't consider this an open water vessel for several reasons.

[​IMG]

4. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Thank you PAR, that's it. As you know, my requirements are for the ICW, the Great Loop on rivers, etc. Thinking a hard doger, wheel steering and a OB in the motor well as a motorsailor. 4' draft with a fixed keel. Interior needs work and I don't mind (in fact would like that). Possibly my furtherest voyage out would be the Bahamas in good weather, I won't be crossing any big waters......

5. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

Well...I am not familiar with this boat... but just now looked up it's specs on Sailprocalc.... and judging solely from what i saw there it sounds like an interesting boat that at very least should have won some club races based on it's light construction, narrow beam, and ample sail plan for a 7,000 lb 30-footer. Now I am going to see what she looks like...long and lean I bet ...you could row this thing I am thinking if the wind quit on you....just make a seat on the coachroof and find some 13-foot oars...lol...6.86 theoretical hull speed is decent for this size boat...seems she could be a racer as I said...a bit too light for a long period of offshore work likely though...and that rudder looks lightly hung...a great boat for the keys/bahamas gunkholing...cockpit looks dry if a bit cramped...cool boat overall she seems to be...

6. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

I could put a rowing seat on the sliding hatch! :rolleyes: LOL!

I guess there must be significant differences as PAR said. I found it rolls in at 8,300 pounds and now it's 7,000. I have no idea!

After finding that I was thinking I had to pass as my F-150 will only pull 7,000...A few hundred pounds over I could get home and to the Mississippi, but not a thousand. I don't think I'm buying anouther truck.

It is long and narrowish. Someone else confirmed that it could use amas to add stability motoring. Plans are to or more than sail. They could also come off.

It has 6'4" headroom to 6' 2" forward, that's good for me at 6'.

7. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

....Hm.....8,400 lbs sounds more like what I would expect..so PAR is likely correct...but it seems to have been marketed originally as a big trailer sailor which would steer the designers down in displacement...but that 7000 lbs I saw must be an error...sailcalcpro is full of them as are other sites like it...I

8. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Well, yes, it is a bump of sorts, this boat is still there, untouched!

Lately we had a thread on terminal trawlers or strawlers, sailboats turned into power cruiser/trawlers.

Seems 15 hp would do, there will be more motoring than sailing, 80/20 on the loop is what I've heard.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  9. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Here is the project:

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi...ault&uid=default&view_records=1&ID=27361&mh=1

I would gut it and start over. I'd like to take the head further aft adding a shower. Add a hanging locker port aft of the lav. Get rid of that u shape dinette and go with a double facing each other. Settee to port would be a little shorter due to locker. Galley to port with a return counter more than shown. Put a fridge starboard. That quarter berth would be storage.

A hard doger and canvas enclosure for the cockpit, rool up for hot days.

Some A/C, gen set aft where the engine compartment is, the OB is in a well.

Please, need some feed back here, it would be for 2. Suggestions? What to do?

If I lived in a saltier area I'd keep looking, but the inventory of 30+ foot sailboats is very limited in Missouri or the midwest....

10. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.