Voyage to Atlantis

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Yobarnacle, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Okay, Hoyt. I stand corrected.

You aren't a jet.

You are an acrobatic old goat.
    :D

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

What strong evidence? Unfortunately, what Plato wrote is the only 'proof' we have that Atlantis ever existed. Every other mention of it throughout the centuries traces directly back to Plato; there are no independent, corroborating writings whatsoever. Nor is there one iota of physical proof that it ever existed.

There's a difference between keeping an open mind, and letting the wind whistle between your ears....:rolleyes:

4. Ira Jacobson

Ira Jacobson New Member

The best theory of Atlantis I have heard places it at the Island of Santorini or Thera, which exists today as the rim of a huge volcanic crater. This was a large island in the Med until it exploded in a cataclysmic volcanic eruption about 1800 BC. The resulting tsunami caused a lot of destruction in the Med, including the cities on Crete, and might have been the origin of Biblical references to the great flood, i.e. Noah.

5. hoytedow

Yes, the links I posted in posts 19 and 20 referenced that information.

6. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

it beats me how 2 clearly intelligent people like these refuse to acknowledge that man is altering the climate, to you and i it is so obvious. i can go for a walk on the beach here and fill a wheel barrow with plastic rubbish that people have thrown overboard. it is not just air pollution, it is everything we are doing.

1 person likes this.
  7. Yobarnacle

As to letting the wind whistle between my ears, it's "COOL"! And blows away dusty, cobwebby, notions of pseudo-science! :D

Strong evidence for Atlantis there is NOT. I misspoke in my exuberance for the new (to me) possible location.

There IS a lot of similarities in art and monolithic structures and engineering feats in widely separate parts of the world.

The Boats Ra and Ra II
    http://www.solarnavigator.net/history/ra.htm

Thor Heyerdahl (October 6, 1914 in Larvik, Norway–April 18, 2002 in Colla Micheri, Italy) was a Norwegian marine biologist with a great interest in anthropology, who became famous for his Kon-Tiki Expedition in which he sailed by raft 4,300 miles from South America to the Tuamotu Islands. He died, aged 87, from a brain tumor

He built the boats Ra and Ra II in order to demonstrate that Ancient Egyptians could have communicated with the Americas or transferred pyramid-building technology. The original Ra took on water and had to be abandoned; Heyerdahl thought the cause was that a supporting rope present in the ancient design was omitted in construction. On May 17, 1970 Heyerdahl set sail from Morocco on the papyrus boat Ra II to successfully cross the Atlantic Ocean to Central America. Yuri Senkevich, who was the expedition physician, later became a popular TV host in USSR and Russia.

Attached Files:

8. Yobarnacle

It's obvious to me TOO.
    Climate is changing. Always has. Man is polluting. Probably always has.
    The planet absorbs and rolls with the punches. Always has.

And people try to manipulate and control other people. Always have.

Did you try the graphed temperatures exercise I suggested?
    Did you WRITE the result?

Were you IMPRESSED with a fraction of a degree?

Did you ask yourself WHY the graphing of a fraction of a degree temperature rise looks like a rocket launch?

Does it anger you when people try to manipulate you? :D
    I get mad as a HORNET!

9. Yobarnacle

The problem with ALL Mediterranean proposed sites for Atlantis, is Plato wrote Atlantis' location was BEYOND the Pillars of Hercules. BEYOND Gibralter.

Eliminates everywhere in the Med, don't you think? :)

10. Yobarnacle

The route between S. America and the heel of Africa is very possible for ancient mariners because in a short band of latitude, there exists BOTH east and west bound currents.

I use these currents to advantage EVERY voyage to Africa I have made.

AND it's BELOW the hurricane belt.

I think Atlantis WAS S. America. Sorry Columbus, you were 11,000 years TOO late. :)

http://oceancurrents.rsmas.miami.edu/atlantic/north-equatorial.html

The equatorial Atlantic is a complex region dominated by the presence of large scale westward currents and eastward counter currents. Some of the more extensive studies of this region include GARP (Global Atmospheric Research Program) Atlantic Tropical Experiment (GATE), the First GARP Global Experiment (FGGE), the Seasonal Equatorial Atlantic (SEQUAL) program and the World Ocean Circulation Experiment (WOCE). The classical view of the surface currents in this region shows a westward flowing North Equatorial Current (NEC), an eastward flowing North Equatorial Counter Current (NECC), a westward flowing South Equatorial Current (SEC), and an eastward flowing South Equatorial Counter Current (SECC).

Attached Files:

11. hoytedow

The climate was seriously changed when Thera exploded, sending tons of macroscopic and microscopic sun's rays deflecting debris towards the heavens.

http://www.uri.edu/endeavor/thera/impact.html

"Based on observed climatic effects of recent historic eruptions the Minoan event likely produced a global cooling of about 0.35o C"

12. hoytedow

My question is, "Was the Atlantic Ocean named after Atlantis, or was Atlantis named after the Atlantic Ocean?".

This is the answer I found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Ocean

"The first part of its name refers to Atlas of Greek mythology, making the Atlantic the "Sea of Atlas"."

13. Titirangi

Titirangi Previous Member

Hey whitie, you post your Phd in Climatology to prove your opinion has substance then I'll consider your ideas, until then your's is just regurgitated views picked up from TV and other news sources.

1 person likes this.
  14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Hey Tittie, post your Phd in Climatology to prove your opinion has substance; then I'll consider your ideas. Until then, yours are just regurgitated views picked up from the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Exxon-Mobile whores, plus whatever paranoid internet sites you frequent. I'm guessing Alex Jones' Prison World and Info Wars are high on your list....

Tell me: how do you account for my views on climatology, since I don't own a TV?

15. Yobarnacle

Exxon-Mobile whores?
    In your opinion Troy, does anyone who accepts money for expressing or proselytizing a specific point of view, qualify as a *****?
    If so, then there are MORE whores on the AGWers side. :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.