volvo4.3GL water in oil

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by SSgtjusmc, Apr 17, 2009.

1. SSgtjusmc

SSgtjusmc New Member

I have a 2000 Fourwinns w/ a Volvo 4.3 GL. I started the boat up 3 days ago and it was running good. I let sit over night in 32 deg. F one night. The next day I put a oil warmer through the dipstick tube to prepare for the 2nd cold night. I noticed the milky substance coming out of the dipstick tube.
    I drained the oil twice with no better results.
    I checked each sparkplug and no water came out of the cylinders, very clean.

The freeze plugs did not pop out any and there are no visible leaks as the hull was dry.

and when I changed the oil, to circulate the sludge remover, the boat ran fine, maybe a little rough
    any Suggestions?

2. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

milky oil is usually sign of a blown head gasket. A quick compression check will verify. If the compression checks good, start looking for other ways for water to get into the oil.

3. SSgtjusmc

SSgtjusmc New Member

Thanks Ken, I'll start there. That was going to be my next move, but I wanted to get a few opinions on this one.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oil in the water/ or visa versa from head gasket would mean the head gasket had failed from water to oil passages ,--not necessarily blown from the cylinder.

A water cooling system compression check is what you need. Thats a little pump thats fits on the water tank with a guage on it.

Actually it may just be condensation, if the water is seperated, taste it salt, fresh or ethenol glycol.

Could also be inlet manifold joint.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.