Long tail for catamaran

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by paultuxworth@gm, Jun 2, 2022.

1. paultuxworth@gm

paultuxworth@gm New Member

Hi thinking of converting my 45 foot cat to a bridgedec mounted diesel and long tail. Can anyone connect me with anyone who has built this or has any design wisdom to share.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

I have to ask - 'WHY'?

What type of 45' cat do you have?
    I presume that it is a sailing cat?

I don't think you will find anyone who has done this before - simply because it is a crazy idea.
    A small engine in each hull of the cat is much more practical in every way imaginable.

BlueBell likes this.
  3. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I don’t think it’s such a bad idea.
    It’s fast and cheap to build, completely accessible at all times, and lacks all the complex satellite systems that make typical inboard installations such a pain.
    A sailing cat will already have a functional steering system, and would require little more than an attachment bracket for a longtail. It lifts completely out of the water too.
    Most 45’ cats have wretched excess of deck space, although it might take some getting used to detouring around the thing, I’d make a nice cushioned cover for it!

BlueBell and bajansailor like this.
  4. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

5. rfleet1066

rfleet1066 rfleet1066

AFD26991-470C-4F7B-8832-4BAEBC34A0F9.jpeg This is the long tail on The Sebastian Marie. Powered by a 75 Hp diesel. Benefits include easy prop inspection, no anodes or anti fouling required. This one is 20 feet long

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.