Volvo TAMD40 to TAMD41

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Steve100, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Steve100

Steve100 New Member

Hi, I have a Volvo TAMD40 engine that may be kaput. There is a possibility I can get ahold of a TAMD41. Does anyone know if they are a straight swap, mechanically and electrically? Would I need new instruments? Thanks

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum Steve.

I am not too sure that there are many folk on here who have Volvo TAMD engines - in contrast, there are quite a few on the YBW Forum in Britain, and I think that their motor boat forum would be a good place to ask - you will be guaranteed a good response there.
    Including from a chap called volvopaul, who is a professional boat mechanic, with particular emphasis on Volvos.
    Motor Boat Forum https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?forums/motor-boat-forum.14/

Although while writing the above I just saw in the 'similar threads' link below this thread about the TAMD40 -
    Old Volvo penta TAMD40A https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/old-volvo-penta-tamd40a.48862/

@baeckmo has offered some useful advice in this thread, and I am sure that he would be able to offer some thoughts re your question above.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

They are both similar size and weight. The 41 is slightly smaller. What power rating do the old one and the new have? They came in quite a range. If they match for power, it should be no problem.

bajansailor likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.