volvo stern drive puzzle

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by excell26, Jan 1, 2007.

1. excell26

excell26 New Member

i have a 96 wellcraft excell26,it has a new 350 vortec v8.the stern drive has been painted over and i scraped the paint off of the tag on it and the info.on it reads. volvo penta,type c,ratio 1.51,serial 4112010596,production 3868162.i would like to know what stern drive this is.can anyone help me out.the diagrams on the web indicate it looks like a diesel stern drive.it has two hydralic trim cylinders.the last owner said it had a gas engine,before installing the new one.i just do not know what volvo drive it is.thanks

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

3. excell26

excell26 New Member

thank you for you reply,but i have already been to that web site and i still do not know what stern drive i have.the one on the site says mine looks like a diesel stern drive,but the other owner says the boat was never a diesel.i am still looking.thanks

4. KnottyBuoyz

5. excell26

excell26 New Member

thank you for trying to help me,but all the infor on the stern drive is what i posted that came of of the id tag on the unit.the unit has been painted over.i went to the web site you gave me,but those have volvo penta engines and mine is a 350 vortec mercruiser engine,so i still at a loss.thanks will keep trying.the only one i have seen that looks like mine is the one that is suppose to come with diesel engines,but i don't know for sure.thanks again

6. KnottyBuoyz

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is OK to use a diesel outdrive with a gas engine as long as the gear ratio is correct. The difference is an epoxy coating to prevent the sulfuric acid in the diesel exhaust from corroding the drive.

8. ozren

ozren New Member

Hi guys, i have similar problem with my Volvo sterndrive, thing is that original engine which was installed inside my boat was gas engine and owner who had this boat before me installed diesel engine without changing gear ratio or propellers. Now I have installed new engine also diesel with more torque and horse power but with less RPM's. Does anyone know how to pick the best propeller for my combination? BTW my outdrive is duo prop and in Croatia no one knows how to calcullate propeller.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A diesel engine in a gas outdrive wil have some corrosion problems. It will shorten its life. To calculate a propeller and gear ratio you need to have all data from the boat: length, beam, depth, type of hull, displacement, etc. It is not a simple calculation. However, if you have the performance data with the old engine it will simplify it. For example, maximum speed at what RPM and weight of old and new engines. Also, what gear ratio and propeller you have now.

10. ozren

ozren New Member

ok, i will submit this info as soon as i come home as at the moment I am off shore Angola in Africa, Thanks a lot

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.