Volvo Penta vs. MerCruiser 4.3 fuel injected

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by teachdad46, Sep 30, 2007.

1. teachdad46

teachdad46 New Member

I am about to order a new 19 foot Monterey bowrider and am choosing between the 4.3 MerCruiser 220HP MPI and the comparable 225 Volvo engine. It is possible I might move up to the 5.0 260/270 versions, too. I am wondering what considerations to take into account to make my choice. The dealer with whom I'd working is a Merc certified marina, but not a Volvo certified dealer. They can/will repair either, but if there is warranty work needed, I may have to go elsewhere. At this point, I'm leaning towards the Volvo for several, small reasons. Cone clutch vs. dog clutch. Slightly better acceleration. Slightly lower cost. None of these are clinchers Does one of these two drives have a better repair track record? Thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.